Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
You've come along way and might I say , WELL DONE :). It's awsome seeing another 72 saved from the crusher !! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Spent this Saturday working the door.
I finally got over my hesitation, and did what needed to be done to fix it.

I have about 12 hours give or take on the door.
I cleaned the skin off again, had some minor flash rust; I marked out measurements on the door, and marked out the door skin I removed off a spare door I had.
I spliced in the center of the panel, not my first choice, but considering what I had to work with, I felt this was the best with what I have to work with.

After cutting out the center, I used a heavy duty dolly and hammer to work some damage as best as possible...in hind site, I should of used a wider section of the donar skin, but I fixed it as best I could, and moved on.

The welding took probably about two hours, going slow, but all I know some splatter fell in my shoe, and I was suddenly in a lot of pain with my sock on fire. I got some Tylanol, chugged another mt. dew, and kept spot welding. Dug the splatter out of my skin,:mad: #@!* is about all I am going to say.

While I try to go for as little filler as possible, some times it can't be helped.
I need to do some more blocking yet, and clean up the inside of the door skin a bit and put some primer and dampner material in the door.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Well, this is why I did it:

The door as some point has suffered a decent hit, and had a crease in it top to bottom; I welded up the holes, but after looking inside the door, where those holes were, there was rust on the inside of the skin, and no easy way to clean it up. I debated about the best way to fix the damage...before any welding, I tried some hammering to fix it, but the metal was stretched pretty badly, and I decided to just replace the center of the door skin with good metal off another door.
Lesser of the two evils I suppose.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Well, I finally managed to get the driver's door all prepped and primed tonight. I sort of took a bit of a break from the GTS...but decided to step back into it finally this week. Spent yesterday blocking out the door, and also prepped the jam area on the inside, was pretty much rust free and I was happy, no patches needed.

I also primed the rear roll pan, the door hinges were taken to a body shop of a Family friends, and I used his blast cabinet to clean them up, always a plus when no hinge pins are needed!

The passenger door came off, and primed the spots where the hinges bolted to the door, discovered I need to lay another coat on the bottom side of the door, to hit some spots I missed. Of course, this was after I got done spraying tonight and cleaned my gun. :rolleyes:

I cleaned up both door jams and the ends of the cowl finally, and sprayed them, still need to retexture, but that will get done here in the next week or so.

My only thing I messed up on was the fact I neglected to tape off my frame sections by the cowl, and I managed to get a bunch of overspray on the frame. Not the end of the world, but irritating that I neglected to think ahead on something simple.

More to follow. Thanks for looking in.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Made more Progress on Saturday: Early August 2008
I rolled the car out of the garage by hand. I've been doing this for the last few months, and said to heck with it.
I hook the battery up, and took a few laps around my neighborhood:

I managed to get both doors blocked out, and ready for the next layer of primer; I finished sanding them, bolted the hinges on, and put the doors back on the car.

I found by drilling alignment holes in the hinges on the doors and A pillar made my life a hell of a lot easier.

I know some guys don't like the idea of drilling holes, but if you fight to get good door gaps...I set my doors in place, used two 1/8" drill bits to set the location, tightened the bolts, pulled the bits, and I had my door gaps with VERY little fuss.

I think it took longer to get the doors bolted down on the car than to see the alignment was like on the gap and be like WOW.

Now, I need to:
Block sand the front and rear roll pan and header panel.
Reprime the doors, and then I get to start possibly getting ready for the fenders. Color I think is not too far away...:D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Will post pics a bit later.
Doors have been primed again, and I am really happy with the results.
I have noticed an issue with one of the quarters, not sure yet is it's going to require me fixing one small area.
Getting ready to tackle the NOS fenders-have rust in the pinchweld areas-and got to figure out best method to fix without seperating the skin from the fender brace.
Roll pans are blocked out, along with the header panel.

Working on color, but had to hold off a bit before I can edge {yet again!}

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
drilling holes in the hinges,why didnt i think of that...
thanks for that idea mate,its going to make my life easier too when my mustang is ready for paint

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Spent some time recently out with the car, before I discovered the oil pan has a bit of damage, so I have started work on fixing a few things.
I put the front clip back on the car so I could get it out and drive it a bit before warm weather is done and over:

I blocked out the header panel and primed it {and discovered my HVLP spray gun is getting long in the tooth and due for a full rebuild}

I also started on fixing my damaged oil pan, and widening it with yet another damaged pan off a 400 I had {does anyone see a pattern here? :rolleyes:}

I'm taking my time, and constantly measuring to make sure I still keep the correct pan to pickup clearance

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Well, I spent some more time this last weekend working on the pan.
Not quite done, the welding could of been better but overall I am pretty happy thus far.

I got a nice sheet of scrap flat stock from a buddy of mine, and the thickness is a bit more than the stock pan's metal.

I finished up the kickouts, leveled them off, and have the tops traced out with marker, so I can cut them out and fit them in for welding.

{The kick outs were made using pieces of a damaged 400 pan I was going to toss, but with a bit of hammering they turned out pretty useful.}

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Well, I finished up pretty much all my welding tonight, might have to go back for a few misc touchups, but overall I am pretty happy with the oil pan.

I just need to go back and finish dressing a couple of the welds, paint, and them it'll be time to swap pans.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Well, this weekend was mixed for me.
Took the Torino out, smoked the car sideways a few times, and then came home and pulled the cleveland in prep for some overdue repairs...and discovered a few parts in need of repair.
The water pump is shot. I thought just the gasket on the timing cover was bad, but the weep hole is showing evidence of recent leaking.
I have a couple bad plug wires, time for a new set.

I'm going to get some parts sent out for powder coating, brackets, etc.
I have a 3g alternator, and a bunch of 5.0/5.8 serpentine parts, so I may be finally getting the 351c into the new millinia and run a serp setup.

The oil pan is all done. Only issue is I should of waited and sent out for powder coating, but I decided to just coat with POR15, and had less than stellar results {but it also didn't help high winds and some dust on still tacky paint.}

Sunday night, I pulled the engine out in about 45 minutes roughly.

Sort of depressd now, as the GTS is going to sit for the next few months and not move under it's own power, but it's for the best.

Working on getting the new clutch kit out, picked up a roller pilot bearing, noticed a slight differance in the previous clutch disc compared to the newer unit {blue one is the new piece. MUCH heavier piece.}

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Well...here we are, end of October. Man, what a long month, but yet I did not seem to get much of anything done.
I decided this last weekend to mess with the engine a little, and put the pan on the 351c.

I discovered a few things I was honestly caught unaware of:
The timing set, a single Cloyes, is stretched rather bad, at least 1/2" of slack. On the plus side, I found my receipt from May of 2001, Lifetime warranty.
My engine, which I thought was unmolested prior to me, with 66k original miles, seems in question now. The kid I bought it from back in 2000 I worked with at a bodyshop, and got to know pretty good was a straight forward guy, and I even spoke with his mom a few times at parties I had gone to with the guys from the shop. The engine came from here 1970 Torino, which she bought new, drove about 3 blocks a day, for a number of years until it was parked, the the guy I worked with got it running again. Anyways.
The rods all had been stamped, like the engine was apart some time in it's life. The bores all have very nice cross hatching, nothing bad at all.
Cam lobes don't look bad from what I can tell. the first 3-6 lobes have a slight discoloration, but that could of been old oil that had not drained off. Everything looks clean. The pickup tube is intact, no bends or kinks, which is something I was worried about after the issue of the damaged pan.
I was bummed on this Cleveland not having 4 bolt mains, being a 1970 engine, but for a street engine, it's still just fine for me.

Last Friday, I took my original Ford flywheel in to a local machine shop, and had them magnaflux it, just thinking due to age not a bad thing to check...for the $20 it cost, simple piece of mind.
At the time of pick up, the guy at the machine shop said the ring gear was chewed up, and I asked a rough cost to have them mess with it. Best $52.13 I ever spent of not having to screw with the ring gear removal or install, using a torch, etc to mess with it. So, for a grand total of $72.13, the Fly wheel is good to go.
For now, I am going to wait until I have the free cash to afford a few engine pieces I need. Being the engine needs a timing set, a water pump, a few pieces are for sure getting some attention this time.

After getting done with the engine, I decided to play with my rims and front brakes.
I scored a pair of 1972 Lincoln Rotors 5 x 5" bolt pattern and caliper brackets. They had only minor rust, looked fairly recent, part number is 6030.
The bearings, are the same exact pieces as the standard 11"/ GTS optioned/ T-bird 12" rotor with 5x4.5" bolt pattern wheels.

I also scored a pair of 295/50/15 radials for mockup {will be good burnout tires down the line}, and had them mounted up on two of the Nascar cup rims I took in trade this summer.
{in case you are wondering, yes, they are from car #16, dated 2004-2005 season. Aside from "TEST-05", and the #16 sprayed all over the rims, inside and out, I can't tell you any more than that.}

So, I ended up taking the CV conversion brakes off for a bit, and set them aside for now; I bolted up the rotor and then bolted up the rim and tire combo.
Only issue I see right now, the tire is pushed a bit towards the lip but man it sits just about perfect.
I may have to change out my front springs, as right now the engine is not in the car, and it sits up without the weight on the nose of the car.

I checked for all possible rubbing issues, and as it sits, the thing clears front and back, with NO issues at thie time.

Here is a shot on the back side...I have 1+ inch of ball joint and tie rod clearance, even with the 295's.
Thing of beauty.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
hey man it looks like its coming off great! i may eventually use your lincoln brake discovery. Also with the serpentine setup. i'll have to look into that as well. i like Vbelts because theyre easy but serpentine is just a better appearance. your oil pan came out great too!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I dig black wheels...but then again, I am a cheap ass and can't seem to think about spending a ton of money on wheels when I'd rather stick it towards certain parts...but hell, I'm the guy who wants to step back to the 80's and run 15x8 centerline autodrag rims. You know, the two piece, rivited units with a silicone bead guaranteed to leak? LOL

Anyways...I've been a slacker...but also sort of had a few things hit me that have set the '72 GTS on the back burner. Mainly the whole deal with my new-to-me 1973 GTS...but enough of that ride. I'm happy to report some minor work was done finally!

The '70 2v 351c finally got a few long needed bits.
I sold some trim, and picked up a few new things:

I picked up a Milodon aluminum water pump, new hi-flow 351c-correct t-stat, and a Ford Motorsports 351c double roller timing chain set. Let's see...that only took 6 months...but I'm just happy that I got the parts.
Thanks to another Torino owner, I was given a set of wires about a month back that he had laying around for some time, that were the correct setup for my older small Duraspark cap.

I was going to bolt stuff together and call it good, but decided to get the powerwasher out, degreaser and cleaned the engine block. Went and got some Ford blue, and spent the better part of 3 hours scrubbing and cleaning up the block and heads and sprayed the setup to make it look half presentable.

After allowing to dry for around an hour, I started to reassemble the engine, with the new timing set, the cover plate, water and balancer.
I forgot what the joy of installing a front cover seal was...then ended up resorting to using an old 4wd socket to evenly set that seal.
Some choice words flew on that ordeal of 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

The last piece of the puzzle, I finally found a clutch fan, while I was out at a local U-Pull-It yard, and it was a bit of a mixed thing for me. I was there helping a buddy find a door for his New Yorker, and I ran into a '76 Gran Marquis coupe, like the one I owned a few years back and sold to his sorry ass as a driver unit he got his New Yorker. He sold that car and I sort of kept tabs on the big girl as it sat at a Burger King not far from my home now. I stopped seeing it, and figured oh well, about 3 months back.

I was joking, like Dude, it's the mercury, but it was another car {with a 302 of all things powering it?!?}...but after walking through 6 more FoMoCo rows looking for any '70's intermediates, my fricken Merc was sitting, sad, and torn up. I knew it was mine...had a new gas tank under it, and the paint damage the Passenger fender had when I owned it.
Made me sad, but at the same time, I finally got the correct clutch fan...

Of course, after pulling it, getting up to the counter, and getting home, I noticed the fan was a bit loose. The out comes the seal along with some of the bearings. )(*^$)^#):mad:
Oh well, was going to buy a new clutch for it anyways...at least I have the correct fan now. No more direct drive fan.

Spent some time cleaning up my headers, nothing like black ceramic coating to help clean the things up.

Going to try to get a few things in order so I can get the front clip pulled back off and work on tying up a few loose ends.
Feels good to make some progress.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I'm going to start off with this picture:

Do you see a problem here?
Where should this part be located?
Well kids, follow along...

Sunday, one of my buddies came down, helped pop the hood off the '72 GTS, and we dropped the engine back in the bay where it belongs.
Now, he has never worked on an old car like mine. just regular stuff like oil changes and such on newer cars.

I stuck the flywheel on, installed the clutch assembly, checked stuff over, and started to position the engine in the bay.
It fought me for a bit, but got it in, life goes on, and then the stuff went together w/o much issue, and started to jam and bolt it together.
My buddy had to roll, so I got back to work, the car was jacked up, put on stands, and I got under the car as I finshed up the lower bolts for the trans to engine bolts.

Then I think I said the loudest, longest swear I've said in quite some time.

In all the BS'ing and stuff while listening to Metallica's Death Magnetic CD...the dust plate that goes on before the flywheel was completely forgotten about

My wife was in the house, and heard me. Though I must of lost a finger or similar...said it was almost like the sound of a wounded moose being taken down by wolves.

At this point, I stopped, picked up and packed it in late Sunday afternoon.

I am going to mess with it in a bit, next few days are supposed to be raining but later this week hoping to pull it back out and correct my screw up.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ya...been there.

Only mine story went like this. As I finished up installing the flywheel I noticed the missing cover plate. Not quite to the level as yours, but I feal your pain.

Almost as bad as a guy I knew who installed a flex plate on his chevy 350 backwards. Quite funny listening to the noises coming from the truck as he tried to fire it up.

Oh and the guy who put .10 under sizes main bearings in his 460 F-250. God I have never heard gas engine sound like a diesel before but boy did it.

21 - 40 of 273 Posts