Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Spent some time last night out in the garage, pulled the engine back out.
I like being able to wrench late at night, when no one is around to bother me.
I seem to get a lot more done, but the flip is no using any air tools, all hand wrenching.
I took and shot the thing with brake cleaner and scuffed the plate till it was nice and clean again.

Shot it with 4 coats of Dark Ford Blue engine paint, and put it on the back of the engine, instead of just sicking it on old and crusty looking.

Ran into some issues last night, the transmission just didn't want to align up, fought and fought it, and I ended up taking the engine back out again. Total, complete PITA.
Managed to get it back in the car, got the splines aligned up, and dropped it back in.

I for the life of me could not get it to align up on the motor mounts. Crawled under the car, and found out why:

The trans mount, being the original mount from Ford {or, assuming this, it's 25+ years old. 17 years in a barn, plus me owning the car since June 2001.}

Mount completely seperated :(

I pulled one off the spare FMX I had laying around that was pretty much new and this weekend I will need to winch the engine and trans backwards an inch or two so I can get things bolted back up.
I just want to smoke the tires. BAD.
:D
I'm at work right now, will post some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well, after fighting the car a bit, I took it out Friday for a drive, and discovered I think I have a sticky caliper on the passenger side, but cool thing is $33 for a reman from one of the CV units. Going to fix that this week!

A few more big things in the works. Like finally considering the paint color...and a new set of tires.
But more on that in a few weeks.

And, speaking of smoking tires:

I think I got my timing issues finally resolved. :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Well, it's been a while since I've managed to update my progress on the GTS.
A couple basics, at the end of June, I was in Lincoln, Nebraska for the Hot Rod magazine Super Nationals. I entered the car in the show, and had alot of people digging the car.

Ran into a guy with a cherry, 21k mile '72 Montego GT.

While I was talking with the owner, who bought the car new, I had the fun, minor, near death experiance of a guy loading his shorts when he lost the brakes on his '32 Ford coupe with all chevy drivetrain mowed a sign down and hit a couple garbage cans narrowly missing parked cars and a lot of people. Luckily the car only suffered a ding on the front left frame rail, could of been ALOT worse.

Anyways, back to the GTS...I was out on the main drag of O street in Lincoln, and in following local rodding tradition, screwing around and having a ball. Had people yelling go Gran Torino man, etc at the lights.
Towards the end of the night, after a really hard 1-2 burnout shift I blew out my original PS hose...made a hell of a mess.
I got to a station, topped of the fluid, and limped the GTS back home, managed to not burn the PS pump up, and had a bit of a fiasco finding the correct hose.

I also managed to finally get around to setting up a new cooler mounted on the bottom of the radiator support, a piece I had off a '99 Ford Contour I kept around. Bolted right on, using two holes on the bottom of the support with the use of j clips. I still need to have hoses modifed but it works for now until I get the AC setup on the GTS.

I need to pull my headers back off, going to change out the collectors to a V clamp setup, and do a little bit of work on the ports to fix a minor but irritating gasket seal issue.

Will upload some pics a little later this week.

Big News:
Paint is coming...
That, along with some new-to-me 17" wheels.
I wanted to keep the steelies, but I am breaking down to a 17x8 rim that I really like.

More to follow.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Here is the PS cooler off the 1999 Ford Contour.
This particular piece came off a 1999 SVT, but I believe they are pretty much all the same on the V6 cars.

I looking at the radiator support, I was planning on simply drilling a couple holes and using the J clips I saved from the original mount. To my surprise, the rad support on the Torino has a number of holes, and it aligned up straight bolt on.

I ran into a major headache trying to source the correct 1972 hoses.
My original 1972 pressure hose ended up splitting on the fitting.
In looking at the pressure line, it was splitting in a number of spots. I also noticed the return line was shot, so I swapped the lines out.
This should not have been a big deal. I ordered a 1972 specific pressure hose, and it is completely wrong, too long, fittings are not correct.

Stuff like this is what really irritates me. I know our cars are not new, but there were a couple hundred thousand or so made in 1972, and you would think a simple common hose could be ideot proof.
I pulled a PS pump I had the wrecked green GTS, and the hoses matched.
I pulled a 1974 Q code pump I had, and it had two new hoses on it, so for now I am using them.

I plan on getting custom hoses made to run up to the cooler, but I may end up swapping to a CVPI power steering cooler for better fitment with the AC install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eliteman....Over the weekend I just found the roof under my 76 Elite was shot....62,000 mile on the car...460 ...guess it is time to turn my attention to my 72 gran torino sport. I have everything for the car except the roll pan under the front bumper...you or anyone have??

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I'll have to check, off have I have a couple spares but they are beat up really badly:(. Nothing I would honestly use except on a beater car. I know dearborn classics sells fiberglass repops of the front and rear rollpans if you can't locate a OEM metal Ford piece.
I'd suggest checking on the Torino forum and see, or do an ad in the parts wanted section.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Been entirely too long since I've posted on the GTS.
No updates aside from a few things. Will post back in a month or so...got the car set up for paint soon.
Finally at the point of ordering my wheels, and will get my new tires after I get paint.
Just priced out my materials...Looking at around $1420 in materials to do my car complete.
Have the shop setup to do my paint work...was going to spray my GTS, but I have a trusted guy in the wings that is handling this for me. I'm leaving this this job to a pro...

Color combo is going to remain my secret for now...:D

Just wanted to give you all a short update...till later-
Have a good one

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Oh, one other thing...of good news...this year, the big push for me to finally get the GTS done is for this list:
{I'll let you guys do the math...}
7 Locations
7 Cities (Begins in Newton, IA and ends in Mobile, AL)
June 5 ....... Newton, IA
June 6 ....... Springfield, IL
June 7 ....... DuQuoin, IL
June 8 .......Bowling Green, KY
June 9 ........Chattanooga, TN
June 10 ..... Birmingham, AL
June 11 ..... Mobile, AL
June 12 ..... Mobile, AL

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Bingo!
Ah, this is going to be expensive to get this GTS done correctly.
My materials and the estimate just jumped at the shop...having some extra detailing done. $2450 to get this done...seriously rethinking but the deed is set up. I really should paint this myself, but I want it shot in the booth, and, well, I want to not come out looking like hell as I am rusty on the paint side. At least it saves me from having to buff it...
Just spent a chunk with autokrafters tonight...$453 for gaskets and weatherseals.
:eek:
Oh well, it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Still waiting on my rear window gasket, and two other small parts from Autokrafters...and being restless about not having the GTS around to actually work on, I decided to go hunting for a few items.
Goodies Summit Racing and Autokrafters:

Spent some time last weekend, and this weekend I went out and picked up a rear seat set out of a 2000-ish Gran Marquis. Scored some nice, solid clean buckets from a 95-97 generation thunderbird.

I decided that while the 88 XR7 buckets while ok have a bunch of cig burns, and are pretty much just looking ok but not as comfortable {but then again I am overly picky some times} so I decided to hunt around and managed to get lucky.
I saw a post somewhere...someone doing a S&H 76 Torino used a rear seat set from a Lincoln to replace a severely worn and damaged seat. I couldn't find anything, of anyone else doing this swap, so I decided to snag a tape measure and check for myself.

Laying the Vic seats next to 72-76 Torino/Montego seat backs I have, the seat bottom is almost nearly identical in shape looking top down.

Looking from a side-end view, the shape is also the same.

Looking from the front, the Torino seats have a more pronounced cut out for the tunnel hump.

Comparing the seat bottom between the two, you'll notice the seat bottom anchor points are in different locations. The Torino mount points are towards the front of the seat bottom, and the CV/GM seat bottom anchor hooks are more towards the back.

Concerning the Seat upper:
Side profile is a near mirror image.

Width, the CV/GM seat rear upper appears to be slightly wider. Possible 1", but I didn't have a chance to measure yet. When in the car, trying to compare my 1973 GTS and the CV/GM that I checked in the local you-pull-it junk yards, it seems to be about the same.
I will know more when I get the '72 GTS back home next weekend when I test fit.

The upper seat back looks to be thinner up top than the Torino/Montego seat upper back, when looking at the side view.
Looking at the Back of the seat upper, you will notice the hook locations seem to line up however, which is a good thing.

As a side note, the CV/GM have a foam and HD rubber liner under the rear deck and behind/under the rear sea, which can be a bit of a bear to remove, but I used a razor knife to trim on the package shelf area, so I have a little extra padding/insulation.
Not bad for only $75.:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
hey look there's my car hiding in the garage with all the crap piled on it,LOL

well I shouldn't get you started cause you been so gracious as to hold onto it for me while I raise the $$ to get it to Florida. was looking through your thread here of all the work you did on your 72 and noticed 2 Yellow GTS cars in the shop,who's is the other one? is that the shop where your getting it painted?

nice seats let me know how they work out,looks like your gonna have to modify the rear seat some to make it work

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yup...LOL...right now it's a bunch of seats and a couple empty boxes.
I'm just glad it's going to a new home.

That shot of the two yellow GTS was of my parts car and my original Iowa car.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well, there must be some reason my wife loves me. Just dropped another $1k on parts tonight, finally jumped into the new age and got some new rollers coming.
Cragar D windows 17x9's and Nitto 450's, 255/50/17 for the front and 275/50/17 for out back.
Also snagged a few bits, driveshaft loop that has been LONG overdue, along with some fresh header and collector gaskets.

·
Registered
123 Posts
well stop spending money and go install those seats,wondering how the back seat is gonna work out for ya as it seams like a great idea as the wire backed seats suck IMO and if i'm gonna have Explorer buckets might as well upgrade the backs too.
well atleast your not buying parts for a 73 GTS,you said your wife wants you focused on the 72 so your only obliging her wishes and spending lots of money on your car,hehe

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Spent this weekend getting some help from my buddy with the frame shop, took my right NOS fender and removed the inner brace off my fender, in prep for sand blasting.
Nothing like a 30+ year old hacked up brazing job.
I am not enthused about this one.

Small tip: if you are rebuilding a Torino, or any other car for that matter, even if not acide dipping stuff, coat these inner areas with POR15 or something similar to seal this crap from cropping up.
This was a case of someone brazing the supports to NOS skins many moons ago and not having the forethought to at least seal the unit back together.

Some goodies from Summit Racing I got last Friday, thanks to UPS:

Managed to finally pick up a driveshaft loop from Summit Racing, along with a fresh set of Percy's alumiseal header and collector gaskets.

UPS also dropped off something I have been looking forward to getting...my new set of Nitto's. I came home and there was my set of new tires. THAT made my day.

A little comparison to the 295/50R15, the 295 is a little wider compared to the 275/50r17, but not by much. Looking forward to getting my wheels!

I spent some time working on the back seat.
The rear seat from the crown vic is a mixed deal-
The bottom seat fits into the Torino pretty snug, but it fits like factory.

The seat upper is a different matter though, as the upper back is roughly 3-4 inches too wide to fit.
As an experiment I elected to take the back upper apart, and a stock torino frame apart tonight.
Started by clipping hog rings:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Continuing on the seat teardown:
Worked around the seat frame, and cut the rest of the hog rings:

During the teardown, the width of the foam and the original seat frame:

I started in by trimming the seat cushion's ends around 1-2 inches on each side. By no means was it exact, just using the calibrated eyeball, as Lou Santiago used to say...

At this point, I felt I had nothing to loose, and basically figure that by trimming some of the springs on the Torino frame, I would be able to lay in the foam, and I was right.

Now, here is the interesting part-I was able to pull the Crown Vic seat cover over the trimmed foam and the Torino frame, and the fabric fit like near factory.
I was able to pull the material, to fit to the same points for my to use a hog ring tool I got from Autokrafters when I ordered my seal kit.

By no means is it perfect, but I think with a little smoothing, it will fit pretty decent.
What's nice about this, is I will be able to use the arm rest, have the late-model high density foam, and still bolt the frame right in the car.

I still need to work on a few things on the inserts for the seat cover for itself that is going to be done yet, but that can wait while the car is at the body shop getting paint.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)

I'm a bit out of order, but last weekend, I only had a couple hours Friday night and a chunk of Saturday to be able to mess with stuff, and did a teardown on the T bird seats.
Nothing major, just took them down to bare frames.
Discovered I had a couple broken springs, and will need to repair one seat brake, if I even use these seats now.

Now, here is where I was stuck, until I pulled the covers up and discovered how the headrests are retained on this particular bucket seat {95-96 Tbird/cougar}:

Basic clip that keeps the headrest from being pulled out all the way.
Unscrewing the trim, and pop out the head rest:

From there, just a matter of rolling the covers off the back:

I have some material from 3 sets of seat covers I snagged from dealer take offs, that I got for next to nothing at a thrift store. One of those what the heck buys.
Spent some time cutting the seams on a couple covers, to get some ideas for different inserts:

This IS as tedious as it looks...but pop on some Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, and it just rolls by.

A couple ideas I have, nothing set in stone yet:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Completely...I hated not having the car around...not a worry about it being away, but serious like depressed because I didn't have MY GTS home...then again, I am technically married to my car.

41 - 60 of 273 Posts