Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
After sitting on the trailer for a few months I have finaly started working on my 72 GTS. This car is a big project. It sat in a field for 13 years and has some rust to show for it. Engine is a total loss and it appears to have been robbed for parts several time. I will try to post weekly updates on my progress here. This will be a low budget build so it will take quite some time. Finish body work will most likely be several years down the road.
Heres what she looked like when I first picked it up

Finaly in the garage

This car is so big it dosent allow much room to work

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The rear window was leaking and I figured I would have a ton of rust to deal with in this area. To my suprise no cancer, looks good. I couldent belive how much mud/dirt was trapped under the trim

I also got my first look into the cowl today, much better then I expected

Floors also seem better then I expected though I think the passenger side is a bit worse off

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tires are 255/50-17 fronts and 275/50-17 rear Nittos on Coys c-67 17X8 aluminum rims. These fill out the fender well nicely

You can see the engine in the background, its a 351W, nothing too fancy. Edelbrock card and intake, HEI, and I belive it has an aftermarket cam in it. I dont know much more, found the engine used on craigslist

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nice find. Looks pretty clean for sitting in a field. Where abouts are you located? Doesn't look like rust is really an issue for you - that's good!

What are you plans for the car?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice find. Looks pretty clean for sitting in a field. Where abouts are you located? Doesn't look like rust is really an issue for you - that's good!

What are you plans for the car?
There is definitely some rust to deal with. I am in northern CA. Placerville area. My plans are pretty fluid at this point. My budget is small so more time will be spent on the mechanical end then on new paint, etc. I am looking to build a nice cruiser that I can enjoy and load the whole family up in. Power train is 351w and a C4. Looking to loose a bunch of weight from this pig

Spent some time tearing the car down this weekend. Making sure to keep all the bolts and small parts bagged and labeled for the future.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tear down continues, rad support and inner fenders are gone. Interior is out, dash is out, wiring.

Finally got down to the real bad rust area under the front seat. Had to take a grinder to the sliders to get the seat out

I have been spending a lot of time tracking down all the little parts that were bad or missing on this car, heater ducts, kick panels, interior trim, etc... the list is long. I did however stumble across a nodular center section for free. The owner was about to haul it to the scrap yard

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still stripping it down

Finaly got the heater out and the underside of the cowl seems to be in good condition. I cant figure out where it was leaking

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey, can you do me a favor, and post some pics of the floor wire harness, and where the heck the passenger side door jamb switch plugs into??

As far as bolt storage, go to lowes/home depot, and buy a bunch of plastic storage boxes {like bait tackle organizer type clear boxes} and worse case just label on a couple 3x5 not cards. I did that, cut the cards up, and was nice when I was putting back together.

Interesting, I have not seen a floor harness in white before. Unless it's just sun fried faded?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a pic of the harness out of the vehicle If there is something more specific you need just let me know. It is white or a natural nylon color

This is the door switch plug

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Here is a pic of the harness out of the vehicle If there is something more specific you need just let me know. It is white or a natural nylon color

This is the door switch plug

Thank you.
My question, as with my car, where does that gray plug hook into?
I am about ready to unbolt my dash to look at my harness again, but just not sure.

Is there something that snakes down from your dash harness?
I put my dash back together like 3 years ago, but just trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The grey connector plugs into the door switch. It drops down through one of the opening in the kick panel and you pull it through the hole that the door switch mounts in. Snap the switch on and push in back in. Here is another pic

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks.
What I was asking was, not the part that goes to the door switch, but the other connector, with the two wires, white plug.

My harness I have, same deal, but the switch I have hooked up, only the single wire, with nothing else plugged in.

I have large factory fold out diagrams, and will have to dig them out to figure out what hooks up where.

Thanks anyways man!!
Appreciate the pics alot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally some progress, first time ive touched the car in a month. Cut the worst of the rust out of the floor pan and started prepping the patch panel. More cutting to go. First time drilling out spot welds, not fun

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Made some good progress today. I have been working on patching up the driver floor board lately and decided I needed a change of scenery. The trunk lip on this car was rusted out pretty bad and needed to be replaced.
First step was to get the new lip prepped, removed from the inner structure

Next I got the old lip out

I cleaned everything up and got the new lip in place. I still need to get it welded in, ran out of wire in the welder this morning working on the floor.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts