Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We completed all mechanical aspect of our rebuild a couple months ago. In the meantime, we just completed the interior. We installed the dash and now I have to spark. I am pretty sure my 17 year old son disconnected/spiced (or something) the ignition wire.

When turning key to the on posiiton, we are getting 12 volts for accessories, stereo, lights, etc. But when starting we are not getting any power to the msd ignition box or coil.

Can you please tell me what color the wire is that sends the voltage to the box? I really don't want to pull the dash off again and this info could really help us. The car ran perfectly prior to pulling the dash so there is no doubt in my mind it is the ignition switch wiring.

Thanks in advance.
Dave and Zach

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Terminal S on the back of your Ignition switch is the 12V to the Solenoid during the cranking stage.

Terminal "I", starts out a green wire with black stripe that goes about 4 or 5 inches and then splices into a Pink wire that heads off toward the firewall, and goes to your COIL +. Once in the engine bay this wire splices again and becomes a Red wire with blue or black stripe and comes out at the end of the engine harness that follows the drivers valve cover and normally opens up into three wires.

Wire 1: Temp Sender (red wire)

Wire 2: Coil+ (red wire)

Wire 3: Oil pressure sender (color not important as this wire is a Foot Longer than the other two...)

Starter Solenoid wiring.

Left side of Solenoid (most instances) Battery + Right side Starter

Left small terminal Red wire blue stripe from Ignition "S" Terminal

Right terminal Brown Wire spliced into ignition loom going to coil+ for battery voltage to coil+ during Cranking.

Hope that helps. It's all you need that I can think of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terminal S on the back of your Ignition switch is the 12V to the Solenoid during the cranking stage.

Terminal "I", starts out a green wire with black stripe that goes about 4 or 5 inches and then splices into a Pink wire that heads off toward the firewall, and goes to your COIL +. Once in the engine bay this wire splices again and becomes a Red wire with blue or black stripe and comes out at the end of the engine harness that follows the drivers valve cover and normally opens up into three wires.

Wire 3: Oil pressure sender (color not important as this wire is a Foot Longer than the other two...)

Starter Solenoid wiring.

Right terminal Brown Wire spliced into ignition loom going to coil+ for battery voltage to coil+ during Cranking.

thanks SOOO much!

·
Registered
22 Posts

Starter Solenoid wiring.

hey FE, any way you can give me this info for a 68 galaxie convertible ignition switch?

All the wiring has been cut out making it imposible for me to trace wires from the ignition switch. I'm rewiring from scratch and schematics I have are making my eyes bleed. thanks

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
you have a factory tach?

yes or no the MSD requires full 12 volts to turn on the MSD box.

new wire from ign/sw to box . by chance there is an oem tach , need an adapter to make it work. Contact MSD , see if they still make the adapters if needed

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Hey Tig, i can likely do just that but I'll have to do a little research...

The same info on the 73 Stang is identical for the 68 Galaxie.

I need a pic of the cut wiring. Then I'll likely tell you to simply find a donor car harness pigtail about 8 inches worth, from any 67-70 full size ford and match color for color. Simple :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts