Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
My 1st post here !
I'm over and have too many cars, a trait I picked up from my Dad. BTW, my Dad and I may sell some of his Galaxies soon (summer 2023 it appears) as he is getting up there.
I've had this 74 LTD with a 400ci for about 5 years. It's a great car and engine. The 400 is one of my favoriate engines, as it does what it's supposed to do (or used to :) as it just goes. it doesn't break any speed or mpg records but it just goes, like an electric motor.
2 years ago, I had to stop driving it due to what I think is a slipped timing chain, which was sort of my fault. It would still run but not very good, it wouldn't idle, and it smelled bad as if the cam'timing was off, which I suspect it is. These have plastic gears right ?
So, it sat for months at a time, waiting for me to get around to it which I did.
1 year ago, after not starting it for months, I had to pour gas in the carb to get it running. Part of that problem is that there is a gasket (acc pump ?) which is leaking so gas apparently won't stay in the carb or at least the acc pump area. I will fix that this next summer.
Now, yesterday, the issue is, even pouring gas in the carb (I am sure not to pour too much so it hydraulically locks) it won't stay running more than 5 seconds. Yesterday I dripped/poured gas in about 10 times, yet, it still won't pick up gas from the tank, as it used to.
In order to get the timing chain diagnosed/fixed, it needs to run again.
What would be the easiest way to diagnose the fuel pump ?
  • I can disconnect the inlet to the carb and verify the pump is not pumping 1st
  • next, connect an electric pump up to a gas can ?

My goal for 2023 is to return this car to every day use which is what I used it for before the divorce.

BTW, how difficult is it (for me) to change the timing gears ? Not having a garage or even carport is the biggest issue. I don't have any gear pullers either, although my dad did/does.

Mike

·
Registered
460 Posts
you may need to fix a broken timing set to get it to run. it can be done outside no problem, used to do it pretty regular in my teens and 20s. you just need a damper puller. but you will need to pull radiator/fan/belts/drain cooling system, and oil. you can pull the timing gears off by hand, no special tools needed. IF thats the issue. Great time to replace waterpump, etc, if age is unknown

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It ran (not very well) for nearly 2 years after the timing was thrown off. I'm pretty sure it slipped a tooth. I'm not looking to fix the timing gears this year. Not enuff time before winter in PA.
To summarize; there are 3 probs now; 1) timing 2) carb acc pump leaks 3) no fuel to carb
I only have time to fix or test the no fuel to carb issue.
Seems to me an electric fuel pump and gas can would bypass the no fuel problem.
As soon as it's running again (with timing still off) I can focus on getting the carb gasket in. Then, it can be driven although not easily, then I can fix or get fixed the timing gears and chain done. I've heard the replacements use metal gears now. I don't care how loud they are ! That was a dumb idea, plastic gears for noise reduction...
I would even pay someone to do it (all) local if anyone is close.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read that there is a way to pressurize a fuel tank. I will try this out.

When Replying, how do I turn off QUOTE LAST MESSAGE ? REPLY is quoting the last message, I see no reason to as the message is right there anyways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. Even though I've (Dad and I) taken rebuilt many an engine, at my age, I just don't want to anymore. If I had a garage, where i could work at my own pace, maybe.
Can I post here to look for a mechanic nearby ?
It's a spare car right now, until it's back to 100% again, so I won't get stranded in it. I'd like to take it to Canada fishing next year.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
To run the mechanical fuel pump to fill the carb you could take the spark plugs out and spin the engine over with the starter. The engine will spin faster because there is no compression and the oil pump and fuel pump will turn. It also won't take long to replace the the parts in the carb. The carb needs a cleaning anyway, of you hope to drive the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx for the suggestions.
If spinning the fuel pump faster will make it pump some gas, then it won't do me much good as it needs to pump when cranking. It used to before I let it sit for too long without running it. It started out fine, got worse after a year or so, then wouldn't pump without the fuel cap off...seems to me it was weak. Then after another long period of not running, it now won't pump at all. I suspect if it had been ran the entire time it would be fine. So, IMHO, what made it weak ? I'm going to try some gas in the tank, maybe I ran it all out and the guage is stuck. Entirely possible. if that doesn't work, next Spring I will then try an elect fuel pump and a gas can. It only needs to run like it did so someone else can verify the timing slipped.
What happened to make it slip ?
I started it, when it was already warm, by barely touching the key/starter, it didn't start but backfired. I then started it and it ran awful. IMHO it slipped at the backfire as the chain was loose running in that direction. I could probably take the covers off and turn it back one tooth and it will run fine. Next year as I'm going south soon.
M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts