Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a 74 Montego MX Brougham with 43k original miles, 351C. Car runs great after tuneup. I want to put some aftermarket wheels on it but I can't find any info on the offset. Does anyone know it off the top of their head or where I can find it? I know the bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 and I bought a set of old cragars with tires but they just won't bolt up where I can get the lugs to work. By the way, those that I bought are for sale now if anyone wants them. Tires pretty good, wheels are 15x8 front, 15x10 back. Good chrome. Nice for a daily driver, not show. $250 buys them, make an offer. Please help with my question. I went to the Grand Torino forum or whatever it's called but everytime I register, it won't let me post any questions. thanks

Jason

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Jason,
Depends on what size rims you want to run.
As an example, a 15x8" rim, with a 4" offset, will fit a 295/50/15 tire out back. I have hear of guys running a 10" rim, with a 4 1/2" to 5" offset out back.
Up front, I'm fuzzy on the width you can get away with, but I know from experiance a 255/50/15 fits just fine.
I have had 17" rims off a mustang on my last project, a 1976 Elite, but I had to run billet wheel spacers front and back due to the high offset, and had minor rubbing out back, but I was running something insane like a 255/35 series tire.
I know one of my friends, who I just ran some parts to to help fix his son's 1972 Ranchero after a rear end collision, has a 1974 MX coupe, and I thought he was running a 10" rim out back with a 5" offest, 295/50/15 tires, and a 15x8 up front with 275/50/15 tires {I think it was a 275, but I didn't get a picture, and I am a little fuzzy.
All I know is it was mean looking, and with the springs he is running, the car sits perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hoping to use the 2006-07 Mustang 18x9 with a 36mm offset but can't find anyone who knows if they'll fit. I'll just have to take it somewhere and see what fits and what doesn't. I noticed someone using a rhino liner to replace their old vinyl top, is this a common practice and does it work? I need to have my top redone and this is an option I haven't considered until now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts