Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for info. about these cars and have found very little avalible when it comes to performance improvements. I believe that these cars have termindious potencail but it would be nice to know if anyone has gone there yet. Ken

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 63Kcar on 10/1/05 4:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
543 Posts
Granadas and Monarchs are the same car. They are basicly a mustang only bigger. They came in two door and four door models. They came with 300-6 to 351w V8 motors. Most were auto's but a few were 4-speeds. Some had 4-wheel disc brakes with 9in rear ends. Some even came with leather interior. We have one with all the bells and whistles. These cars were great because many of the parts could be used on more popular cars like Mustangs and Torinos. Like with any car, you have to deside whether it is worth it to spend the money to make it what you would like it to be. Most, if not all the same modifications you can do to a mustang, you can do to a granada/monarch. They have the same front and rear spring set-ups as a mustang. They can be a real sleeper on the street if you modify it correctly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
On 2005-09-30 21:36, ponyexpress wrote:
They came with 300-6 to 351w V8 motors. Most were auto's but a few were 4-speeds. Some had 4-wheel disc brakes with 9in rear ends.
They came with the 200 and 250 I6 not the 300. Also the Lincoln Versailles came with rear disc brakes not the Monarch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's always been my understanding that the Lincoln Versailles came standard with four wheel disc brakes , but for the Monarch and Granada it was an option.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The 4 wheel discs were an option on the Granada and the Monarch. A friend had a Grand Monarch years ago and it was loaded including 4 wheel disc. In the late 70's they had a Granada package called the ESS that had sporting pretensions. I've personally driven a 4 speed equipped car.

A fellow on this board Eldoon has a modified Granada. I think he mentioned headers aren't available so he used Hipo 289 manifolds for exhaust. Stu

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yes I to have heard of Granada and Monarch having rear disk brake. I just dont think you will ever find one. Lincoln Versailles rear ends are hard enough to find

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
I have seen the ones with the 351 and couldn't believe ford squeezed the engine between the shock towers. Looks like there is not a half an inch between the manifolds and the towers. Underhood it looks more like a Maverick than a Mustang.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
A lot of what applies to the 69-70 Stangs apply to these cars. For suspension is the same. Rear leafs work the sameway. Just put a 9" rearend in it and be done with it. There is floor shifters and the like for it. Not a real heavy car either. real sleeper.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You need to check out this site:

http://www.americangranada.com

From the site there is a link to our Yahoo MB, sign up and be a part of it, lots of info avail there.

Tony

Another person to talk with is Eldoon, he's a member here and I can also help out with info since I had my 78 Granada up until 3 months ago when I pieced out the 408W and other stuff from it and had to scrap the car.

96 Pontiac Formula
01 Nissan Sentra SE, daily driver

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cman on 10/2/05 8:01pm ]</font>

·
Registered
682 Posts
On 2005-10-01 18:55, CaptVirgilHilts wrote:
A fellow on this board Eldoon has a modified Granada. I think he mentioned headers aren't available so he used Hipo 289 manifolds for exhaust. Stu
Not quite true - there are Hooker Super Comp headers made specifically for a Granada, but I went with the 289 Hipo manifolds because I wanted to keep a stock look. I also have GT-40p heads, so the Hookers won't fit. Spark plug #7 is a little close, but the Hipo manifolds fit.

Lincoln Versailles and Granada Ghias had 9" rear ends with four wheel disc brakes.

Mechanical parts are still fairly easy to get - anything that goes on a 5 litre Mustang will go on a Granada/Monarch without too much trouble. Underhood access/clearance is fairly good, too.

While it's my dime, does anyone know offhand what the spacing is between mounting pads on an Explorer rear end? Someone I talked to said this would be a good one to get for the Granada as it has a Trac-loc, 3.73 gears, and disc brakes.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Not quite true - there are Hooker Super Comp headers made specifically for a Granada, but I went with the 289 Hipo manifolds because I wanted to keep a stock look. I also have GT-40p heads, so the Hookers won't fit. Spark plug #7 is a little close, but the Hipo manifolds fit.

While it's my dime, does anyone know offhand what the spacing is between mounting pads on an Explorer rear end? Someone I talked to said this would be a good one to get for the Granada as it has a Trac-loc, 3.73 gears, and disc brakes.
Thanks for the clarification Eldoon! I'll ask my bud the Ford parts guy about the Exploder axle and post back if someone else doesn't chime in. IIRC it should be the same perch to perch as a '67 up Mustang which is oddly the same as a Granada! but I'll verify! Stu

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Eldoon, it doesn't matter what the perch spacing is on an explorer rear end you will still need to reweld the perches so that it will fit under a granada.

If you remember I had purchased an 8.8 rear for "PS" 2 years ago. It came out of a 2002 explorer and had the discs and 3:73 traction lok gear. The perches on that rear end would need to be rewelded so that it will line up with the leafs on an early Mustang or Granada. I believe you need 55.75" centre to centre between the 2 perches. Explorer leafs are mounted more toward the centre of the housing.

Tony

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes Hooker at one time did make headers for a 302 in a granada but they don't offer them anymore last I heard.

If you go 351W Hooker #6208's fit but you have to dent the firewall for #7 header tube to clear.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

According to this guy the perch center to center for an 8.8 Exploder is 39 1/4" My '67 Mustangs 8" measures at about 43" so looks like they don't match. One of the tricks I've heard is to retrofit the discs onto the stock axle ( Crown Vics can also be used) but that doesn't help if you want the Trak lok. Stu

1 - 17 of 17 Posts