Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Came across a man selling 2 original 1/4 window louvers with the hardware... like new condition... $250 is all it cost. Incredible find if you ask me... No scratches or broken glass. Even has the hardware so you can pop the windows out from the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Not much in way of progress. I've aquired many parts and pieces for the car. I'm waiting until I have a substantial amount of parts before installing them onto my car. I'm still in the process of saving up for the Boss 302 block, once I have built it up I will progress with my updates. Parts I have aquired include:

1978 302 CID Engine Out of a 1978 Cobra II
Complete Wiring Harness w/ Dealer Special Car Alarm & Rear Defrost Option
Rear Defrost A/C Controls
Complete Engine Bay Apron restoration
3-Piece Rear Spoiler
Chin Spoiler w/ Valance
Rear Defrost Hatch Window
Cobra II grill
Pop-Out Quarter Windows w/ Factory Tinting
Quarter Window Louvers
Racing Mirrors
5 King Cobra Center Caps and Center Cap Housings
Rear Hatch Window Louvers
Complete Red Interior w/ Dash ( Thank god! The sheet metal dash was horrible )
20 gallon ( non-leaking ) gas tank
Original Cobra Hood Scoop ( Non-Functional )

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Picked up the 78 Cobra II today.. got everything I need out of it. Trading what's left to a man for a 302 tranny out of another Mustang II. I found a guy who derbys Mustang IIs and he preffers automatics, I preffer not to have junk lying around.. so win win! lol

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Picked up the 78 Cobra II today.. got everything I need out of it. Trading what's left to for a 302 tranny out of another Mustang II. I found a guy who derbys Mustang IIs and he preffers automatics, I preffer not to have junk lying around.. so win win! lol
Glad to see that your project is coming along.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
More pics of the car I picked up. Also some pictures of the 302 block, pistons, heads, etc.. I got the better of the grills put in, I preffer the black out VS the chromed one. Unfortunately for me.. no Cobra emblem in the grill..

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Spent the morning tearing down the trunk lid off of the other Mustang, after examining it in more light and cleaning it off.. I came to the conclusion that it is in fact better than mine, when I first looked at it the trunk looked a lot worse, funny what some elbow grease and some lighting can do!! Other than some top rust I couldn't find any places I would need to do much more than sand it down and/or clean it up.

I took off the spoiler to make sure there was no rust underneath it. Was only some poorly drilled holes for the spoiler.. I don't think the person ever put marks down when drilling.. cause there were 3 holes that didn't line up with anything.. Those can easily be fixed with a welder...

Exhcanged trunk lids. I took the trunk spoiler piece inside and cleaned it up also, there were some cracks where the screws go into the spoiler and one screw hole piece was completely broken off. I spent a good 15 minutes plastic soldering the piece back on and going over the others to seal up the cracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Since I got that rear defrost hatch lid I have been taking out the wiring harness in my MPG and putting in the Cobra II one. I started with the tail light harness & I had absolutely no problems there. Today I spent the day tearing apart the interior and taking out the dash wiring harness. Put the wiring harness with the rear defrost AC controls and the factory car alarm in.

Problem began with the ignition switch.. It wasn't a match with the Cobra IIs wiring harness. Okay.. So I took out the MPG ignition switch and put the Cobra IIs in and presto, everything lined up and all was well... So I continued to put the new dash in and I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself so I decided to try it out.... Wouldn't even crank over... The only thing I didn't change out yet was the engine harness from the Cobra II... is there anything else that it could be? I'm stuck! Everything looks fine on the dash, fuel gauge is actually working, temperature & voltage are also working. Can't plug the speedometer cable in until I can get the cable to spin, it's angled so I can't plug it in to the speedometer plug.

Main problem is that I can't get it to turn over.. I think it's something to do with the ignition switch, but I am no mechanic. I was able to get it to turn over when I jumped the solenoid and the battery, but it wouldn't actually start. It was like it was out of fuel, gave off the same effect. I have at least 5 gallons in the tank.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Turned the transmission into Certified Transmission to have it fully rebuilt and cleaned. I will know more by the end of the week.

Had a new exhaust from the catalytic converter back put on, along with a new Cherry Bomb muffler.

The 302 block has been dropped off at Napa Auto Parts Machine Shop to be cleaned and tested. Will have it back by the end of the week also to put on my engine stand.

Here's a picture of the stuff I have acquired so far that hasn't already been put on my car. Most of the engine parts will go to Napas Machine Shop to be cleaned and inspected.

I'll post a few pics of the car itself, with dash, once it's sunny out!

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
My friend Kenny & I did all the measuring & painting of the now functional Cobra II hood scoop. I marked the general design I wanted for the hole in the hood & we traced a bucket to get a more accurate circle. I wanted something with a point towards the front of the car, so it looks like a teardrop shaped hole when you raise the hood and look under the spoiler. Leaves room for the flapper mechanism I want to make so if it's raining or something I can close off the hood scoop.

Also a picture of the dash, I need to get a glove box cover, dash pad and an ash tray to complete it.

Pictured is the new King Cobra center caps and the rear defrost window. I put on the spoiler but I haven't got it painted yet. There's some places I want to smooth out before I do any major work on the spoiler.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My car's been taken to my friends shop, we're going to start taking care of the rust and minor dings/dents in his shop. I'll post updates as the progress continues to advance. It won't be for some time though, with the on-come of the cold seasons I have another project to start worrying about.... So my attention will be more focused on that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The transmissions 2nd gear synchronizers has been slipping progressively worse since I got it. Since we're waiting for the paint to arrive at the shop I took the time to rebuild the 4-speed transmission for the 2.3l 4 cylinder motor myself. Not at a shop, by myself... with the use of my fathers transmission tools.

I was looking at the 4-speed for my 302 and the only number different from the 4-speed on the 2.3l motor is one number difference. Under the two longer numbers there is a number 2, on the 302 transmission it's a number 1 instead. By chance would the transmission housings be the same but internal components where it differs between the motors?

As always, pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Okay.... So I took my 302 transmission to a local Certified Transmission here in Topeka to get a quote on a rebuild.... $850 .. or so they said. I took my 2.3l 4-speed transmission along with my 302 4-speed transmission up to my step-fathers in Valley Falls, along with my rebuild kit for the 2.3l 4-speed...

My step-father worked at a local Ford leadership from 1971-85 as one of their mechanics.. so I figured he could help me & answer any of my questions... So for all you Mustang II owners out there thinking about a 302 conversion from the 2.3l ... The 4-speed transmissions are the EXACT same... Seriously.

The Certified Transmission I took my 302 transmission to... yea they're full of crap. They told me $850 to fix it because gears and syncronizers were broken beyond repair... We opened that thing up & there wasn't a damn thing wrong with it! Nothing! I wasted $175 on a rebuild kit.. Grrrr. So I used the seals and took the parts I needed out of the kit and used what wasn't in the kit out of the 302 4-speed transmission, might as well put what's new in before putting older parts in... So now I have a fully rebuilt 4-speed transmission. The results: My 1st/2nd gear syncronizer was bad, one of the 3 square teeth that are held in by metal clips had popped out along with one of the metal clips... and yea. On top of that my 3rd/4th gear fork were bad also..

My next adventure...

Pulling my engine to replace the oil pan, fuel pump and all new Monroe Handler shocks. So gonna be pulling the engine before I put the transmission/drive train back on. Going to have my best friends father take out a good portion of my engine bay and put new metal in there, the area around the battery is rusting away. Worst rust on the vehicle. Gonna be taking the engine out anyways.. so might as well!

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
I cannot believe I didn't comment earlier...

NO CAR IN THE WORLD that has 26,000 miles on it has a worn out carpet.... Not ever.

That's a super duper understatement also!

I didn't read much further past that because I was appalled that a bastage would try to pass off what he KNEW TO BE OVER 100K miles for 26 K actual! He should be ashamed of himself!!!!!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
That's what the title said! I've seen a lot of Mustang IIs with under 50k miles and they've been in worst shape. The carpet in mine isn't really worn out, on the driver / passenger side yea, but the back it's still nice, there was a center console on it that was all busted up and when I moved that the carpet under it was like new. I really think most of the damage was from the guy who owned it doing a lot of his own ... "repairs"... like the street sign dash .... yea..

I can only tell you what the title says on it, I can't disprove or prove it cause it didn't come with the factory dash or speedometer...

Good looking out on the rear main engine seal, I will do that also!~ Anything else I should do while I am at it?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Good looking out on the rear main engine seal, I will do that also!~ Anything else I should do while I am at it?
If you have the motor out, you should clean the motor up. Replace all the seals with exception of maybe the head gaskets. They are cheap, easy to get to, and will give you piece of mind.

When you have the oil pan off, turn the motor by hand and check out the cylinder walls to see what kind of shape the motor is in.

When you have the valve covers off inspect the valves/springs/etc.

Could also be a good time to spend $20 on a good rattle can paint job. Ford blue would be my choice.

Just a couple of suggestions. Be careful though. This could easily turn into a 'while I am at it' project and before you know it your doing a frame up restoration.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts