Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
A carfax will actually tell you the miliage from title change to title change, and insurance events. If it's had any in the past 7 years.

Maybe it was parked at 26k and the kids used it as a play race car in the back yard, wearing out all the carpet. =P

A good indicator are the pedals, 26k would have little to no wear on the upper left of gas and lower right of break.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yea I would love to do a frame up restoration... some day it will happen. This is my first engine pull and rebuild.. gonna be fun! I have to make the car worthy of a 15 hour drive up to Winnipeg, MA Canada. I have until the 17th! So time to get cracking! Will be more updates with pictures soon! Expect delays and a lot of questions... lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The engine has been successfully pulled out of the engine bay with no damage to parts or the car. Pictures!

Question... The rear main seal, it's on the inside of the engine and not visible from the outside... how do you replace it and it is worth the time to replace it? I do NOT know if it leaks or not... Also I have 12 more days left to finish this build.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Woke up & started right away on the motor, got the old engine mounts taken off and fresh ones put on. Wiped down parts as they came off, all the oil and grime from the leaky oil pan was caked onto the lower part of the engine. Took off the fuel lines along with the fuel pump, replaced it with a new one and used High Temp Silicon around the exterior part of the fuel pump along the seal. Also changed out the fuel filter that's attached to the carburetor. I got the oil pan drained and taken off, disposed of the oil at my local Auto Zone.

I have to research what the I have to do to put the oil pan back on. I was told it had to be torqued to a certain precise measurement.. Don't want to mess anything up or have extra bolts at the end, better safe than sorry.

I also got the gas tank cleaned and prepped for lowering it. Hoping it's nothing major, like just a gasket gone bad or something... I'll find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A lot of good news so far...

I have the gas tank dropped and I could tell before I dropped it that it was still good. How? Well when I was unscrewing the filler neck to get it loose I used my flat headed screwdriver to slowly pry the filler neck on the outside of the body away from the tank so that the corkscrew gasket wasn't holding it in place. Well the filler neck just came right out of the gas tank with no resistance... Yea.. bad seal job around the filler neck where it goes into the gas tank. I resorted to dropping the tank regardless, safe than sorry. Once I got it dropped I checked it over made sure there were no holes or anything. I than used a lot of black silicon around the outside of the seals and I was not liberal with it. I also rubbed silicon onto the metal and used my finger to smooth it out anywhere that I could see a spot for standing water. Also anywhere I noticed that there were rub marks from the tank rubbing up on the underside, I applied silicon there also.

Now I haven't cleaned the gas tank out of debris and whatever else might be in it. I wasn't sure what's a safe way to effectively go about that.

I also started on cleaning out the engine bay.. you can see the difference in just the bar that goes next to the rack & pinion in the picture below.

All in all a very progressive first half of the day! Also... I got my passport in the mail today!! Everything is looking like it will come together very nicely within the next few days!

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I love your project! I had 75 ghia with a 302 auto back in the day....it was just a cool little car....stay at it dude!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got a new oil pump installed and the oil pan on. The entire engine is put back together. Finally got a reverse idler arm clip for the transmission, so I can re-assemble that tomorrow and put the flywheel, clutch, bellhousing and transmission back on the engine.

Just waiting on my friends dad to come over and take out the corroded / rusted passenger side of the engine bay and put a new one in. Once that's done it's downhill from there!~

After that it's just a couple of minor issues and my car should be done!~ Hopefully by the end of this week! *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So my step-dad, Rick, got my transmission done for me. I would of attempted something like this on my own but.... he worked in Omaha, NE as Fords lead mechanic for a good many of years and if I trusted anyone else working on my car it's him. He used to have a 1973 Mach 1 with a 429 SCJ he built up, it was the fastest car in Omaha back in 73 for 6 months! He has pictures of his races and stuff, really cool stuff that I never knew about until I took my Mustang up to him. I couldn't help but snap a photo of him when it was done... too funny!!!!

Bad news is that O'Rielys sold me the oil pan for the 2.3l engine in the 80s Foxbody Mustangs.... it bolted on but... yea when I went to put it in my car.. I almost crushed the thing. Doesn't fit.. so had to pull the motor back out, pull the oil pan off and return it... bad news is NO ONE makes an oil pan for the Mustang II 2.3l 4 cylinder engines. So I took my oil pan to a local weld shop in Topeka, Meinholdt's Welding. Told me it'd be done tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.....

I have to have this car all put back together before Saturday night... I am driving it to Winnipeg, MA Canada and back for my fiancees graduation from Med School. So lots of pressure within the next few days!

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got the oil pan back today, $78 to have it fixed at a local welding shop. Went straight to getting the oil pan put on, than once the silicon dried I took off the distributor and found it was pretty corroded on the inside. Going to buy a new single vacuum distributor tomorrow. Got the oil pump primed and all the air out of the system, it was flowing black gold nice and evenly. Got the rocker cover back on and a new cork seal put on, also used RTV high temp silicon on it as well. Put 1 quart of lucas oil and 3.7 quarts of SAE 10W30 oil put in the engine. No leaks so far, let's keep our fingers crossed!

Tomorrow:

Engine put on engine lift.
Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch and bellhousing attached to motor.
Transmission mounted onto bellhousing. Drop it into the engine bay.
Get it all hooked up and hopefully running!
Hopefully I can get the 78 wiring harness working this time around... The gas gauge and speedometer worked with the 78 harness, but not with my 76 harness.

Lots of work planned for tomorrow!

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good luck makin your deadline. A couple lessons to keep it on track. One, the new fuel pump inlet outlet much easier to check they're correct while engine is out of the car so just check. Also, I was glad I spent $15 on an inline fuel press gage to see the mistake. The exhaust manifold leaked on mine so just one last check on the torque before installing in the car. Also, the gas if in question is faster to clean the tank and be sure than to clean it after it sputters and you wonder about that last few drops of bad gas. I'd do a resistance check on the plug wires if they're not new. All of this I've done since putting the new engine in the car and it could all be preventive medicine with not too much delay. Really there will be enough time to do it when you aren't sure it's ready for a 15 hour drive or worse along the way there so do it. Send up one more update when you're about to go on your trip and we'll all be pulling for you. One last lesson, a alligator clip on each end of a jumper wire and a volt meter to be able to check and remedy voltage to coil is very handy in a pinch. Good luck!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yea.. Problems. Got the motor in fine, got the transmission and drive train all installed nice and snug. Than comes the problems.. tons of electrical grounding issues. I spent about 2-3 hours getting the engine/transmission in and secured... than spent 9 hours on the wiring harness... I could only imagine the hassle a computer would of caused in this car. Thank gawd I don't have to deal with that also... I think I have most of the major electrical issues solved, I added three 8 gauge wire grounds on the engine and one inside. I'm getting the timing down on the new distributor now, when I opened mine to prime the new oil pump the inside of my distributor was corroded to hell. So more fun. I'm close to trying to start my car. Will post more updates soonish.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
It's not an engine swap if there's not some sort of problem that rears up. Pretty sure that's a law or something. :)

Sounds like you're close though! Keep us posted on how things turn out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I got the car started... but my 2nd cylinder isn't firing, but it does have a spark and I tried a different spark plug & another wire and same issue. I think I could have timing problems still. Not 100% sure on the timing yet. Calling it a night. Will start again on the timing bright & early.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
What's the symptom that says you don't have spark? You crank with the plug wire connected to a spare spark plug held next to a ground? Or while running using an inductive timing light? Hope you get it tomorrow. It needs run time before road time. Good luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Okay.... so I learned a lot today. Like how on a distributor cap it has a little #1...... yea I did that. I didn't even know that, hell my dad and my best friend and I were all fiddling with the distributor and never noticed we had the wires plugged in the wrong order. My step-dad Rick sure is my Superman... He came over for 15 minutes and yea. Car runs now. Rough but it runs. We've got the timing down, now it's just all about getting it fine tuned.

Going to go get an alignment tomorrow, along with the passenger side engine bay getting repaired. I'll be driving a lot tomorrow. At least it's running now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Cars done! Woo~ It's still idling really rough though, just going to be some time spent fine tuning the distributor.

I got an alignment, got my tires rotated & balanced, got a nice set of hood pins in ( the stock hood latch spring was getting really bad, didn't want to risk it ), got a fire extinguisher for my car mounted inside the car, I got a Cobra 148G CB that's peaked/tuned, got a cigarette lighter powered air compressor in case of a flat, got all my fluids capped off.

Wouldn't you know it, after all that work.... now my catalytic converter starts to make noises.... sounds like someone rattling rocks in a tin can... great....... SNAFU!!!!!! lol

I'll be taking I-29 from Kansas City all the way up to Winnipeg, so if you see my Mustang II honk or something... lol

Leaving Monday morning at 7am. Wish me luck!~ Talk to you all after my trip. Take care, I'd tell ya not to get into trouble but yea.. we all know that will happen regardless. :p

41 - 60 of 94 Posts