Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Im voting for a compression check. After ruling out a very low compression, spend $15 on a fuel gage between the pump and carb. If your fuel press is decent, I'm starting in on carburetor concerns. Perhaps another member can give another cheap check to help you keep your sanity.
But 1st things 1st...if you have a knock, remove valve cover and have someone crank the engine briefly. If you don't see anything amiss and you've got a bad rod or crank bearing no need to look for operational stuff as you need to address that 1st. A simple check for a bad rod brg is with spark plug removed bring it to top of stroke and just a bit past. Then if you push on the piston thru the sparkplug hole you'll likely be able to move the piston with a wooden dowel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It's the carb. I'm getting it rebuilt, debatting sending it to FEandgoingbroke. Get it done right instead of me doing a rebuild for the third time in my life, but I would rather do it myself. I just have no one to teach me how to correctly do it.

Anyways, I am trying to locate a heater blower motor for my Mustang now. Not that it ever gets driven in snow or rain since I have owned it.... still nice to have the heater working regardless.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Happy Birthday to my Mustang II MPG. It is now officially 35 years old and I can now get Classic Car Insurance for my Mustang II.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I've come across a lady selling a 1978 Mustang King Cobra shell and have already talked to her about pay arrangements. It's a Cali car and I will be importing it to Canada along with my MPG. So my Mustang II MPG will soon become a King Cobra edition. I'll be starting a complete tear down of my car to begin a frame off rotisserie restoration over the next few years. Before I start I have some questions.

1. Once I get the frame / body media blasted and any damages repaired / frame re-enforcement done how bad would it be to Line-X the frame and under carriage and the floor panels on the inside? Good idea? Bad idea? Too much extra weight?

2. I'm going to be getting a different engine aside from the 2.3l 4 cylinder. I'd rather not do any modification on the engine bay so I'd like to keep a 302 or 289. I'm up for the Boss 302 engine but I'd like to keep it Shelby. I say that in the sense that my King Cobra will have Shelby's autograph on the Glove box... I know that doesn't "officially" make it a Shelby, but how many other Mustang IIs do you know that have his signature? I'd like to get a Shelby super charger for the 289 or 302. Is it possible to still get a Shelby Super Charger?

3. I've never done anything to do with frame re-enforcement. I'd like to learn and I would like it to be sturdy enough to handle a Super Charged 302. What all does frame re-enforcement entail?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'd like to get a Shelby super charger for the 289 or 302. Is it possible to still get a Shelby Super Charger?
In the 60s, if you got the option of the rare supercharger on the shelby mustangs, it was a Paxton supercharger. You can still buy the kits from Dearborn Classics.com, they are spendy, but they are "correct" for what you are going for with your car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Spent the last 9 hours fixing my wiper relay. I now have intermittent wipers again. I also ordered the premier "Map Swivel Light" and a hood rod prop for my car from a guy in MO off of Craigslist... it's the silly little things that make the car that much more complete... Small victories and what not!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Found out the factory break drums were still on my car.. So I went and got new rear brake hardware, new brake shoes and brake drums for the rear brakes. I'll be leaving for Canada Tuesday at 6 AM CST. Going to have to join the Mustang Club of Canada now. :p

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Finally found a hood rod prop... it's been so hard to find one of those. I also got the premium dome light from the same guy; the swivel map reading dome light. Also I was able to track down a black glove box door. As soon as it arrives it'll be sent off to Carroll Shelby foundation. I don't know how many other Mustang II owners can say they have Carroll's autograph on their Mustang. I'll be able to!

The lady I bought the King Cobra off of will be delivering it soon as well. I'm hoping to be able to get a lot of work done on my car before September 4th for the Dauphin Manitoba Cruise Night.

1978 Mustang II King Cobra that's Shelby Autographed? Sounds sexy to me! Now if only I can get a 67-70 302 with one of them Paxton Superchargers on it. Sexy!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I thought I had registered on there, but I guess I didn't so I just signed up. I've gone to Mustang II Network forums a lot and I have used it for reference on my build many times. More specifically when I dropped my gas tank.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
The King Cobra donor car I purchased just arrived via a trailer tonight. Had 4 King Cobra center caps on that sucker. Gonna sell em as a set for $500 flat. Might have some other KC parts that I already have if the price is right, have to wait until I can get the car in the light and sift through all the stuff that's on the inside of the car. Will post more about it tomorrow or the following next few days.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Sent my King Cobra donor car to be stored at my Fathers until a later date. I found out until my 76 Mustang is legit in Canada I can't do any major restorations or additions to it otherwise I will be fined large duty fees. This immigrating to Canada process is going to take around 2 years after all the paperwork is said and done. I will be gathering up OEM parts and a few reproductions of what I can't find OEM.

I've been tossing around the idea of keeping mine a stock MPG. I haven't seen any others, and I haven't seen a lot of Mustang IIs here in Canada. I could always restore the King Cobra and use that as my street demon and keep the MPG as my daily driver / cruiser. I have some time to think it over.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts