Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn’t really know where to post this, as this forum doesn’t have a section for it (maybe 78-93 Mustang because it’s a Foxbody platform) I guess it is a Ford, and it’s 35 years old, so here goes....

Picked this bad boy up today. My wife seen it just listed on CL and said, “hay you want another car” so I had her respond with my number. He called back, and said I was the first one to reply as he had only listed it within the last five minutes. Turns out he was right around the corner, and down the road, under two miles. One owner car, and it was his mothers, and she’s 87 years old, and can no longer drive. She gave up driving three years ago at 84, and left the car parked in the garage. Since new, it’s always been garaged and never seen snow and always put away never driven in the winter months. She’s only got 60,200 miles on the ticker and runs great. It’s a 200 I-6 with a 3-speed on the floor. I have all the maintenance records, with mileage, for it since new. I’m going to throw on a set of aluminum wheels, and just use it as a summer driver. To some, this might not be much, but for the guys from the salt belt states, man this thing is clean. I drove it home for $900. It’s a very plain car, as she didn’t get a single factory option on it. Real simple, no frills which I dig.

I have three sets of aluminum wheels that will fit. One set of stock 87-93 Mustang GT turbine wheels, a set of Centerline Outlaws (solid no-holes), and a set of BBS star wheels (similar to a Weld Pro-star) What do ya think would look best on it? Or even just keep the stockers steelies with the tin hubcaps? Any suggestions....

Attachments

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Nice! I also agree that the steelies fit the profile, with a set of wider in the rear, and maybe even dog-dish caps to accent the point. Everyone has their favorite flavors, and I would likely keep it nearly stock, add a 5-speed for greater accel and mileage too, EFI for the same reasons, and just maybe a turbo later - just for a little kick-in-the-pants fun. All removable upgrades to enjoy it for what it is. As-is works for me too. Nice score!

David

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well it's official, a 275/60/15 tire will go under the rear of a Fairmont. It's a tight fit, but it's on there. Stock rear tire next to the new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also picked up a pair of these, thinking I might use them for fender badges. That way the six-in-a-row can represent out on the street.

Should I go for it and use em, or not?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
200 Farmall emblems, right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes sir, good eye.

I was looking for 6-cylinder type fender emblems, but didn't come up with anything really (there was some chevy-6 badges) but that aint happening on my car.

Then I remembered the International Harvester 200, and looked into that. They are about the right size dimensions for fender emblems, and the little six under the hood is 200cid. So I thought they were fitting. I never had a car with an inline-6 before, and I'm looking to burn a few gallons of gasoline with it. Just waiting (anxiously I might ad) for my antique plate registration to come in the mail, from the DMV.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
FleaBay is fun to shop for emblems. I found the first set for $3.99 and these for when you upgrade. ;)

David

From who-knows-what for $3.99:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I stop down at the parts store, and pick up a new air filter for the Fairmont. I get home, and the new replacement filter is the wrong size. (original filter – 10 3/4” x 2”........ replacement filter 12” x 2”) I go back to the store, with both filters. Come to find out, it makes a difference on what transmission is in the car (even though both care have the 200 inline-6) My manual 3-speed car, requires the smaller 10 3/4” filter. And the automatic equipped car requires the 12” filter. Even though both engines are the same, and would ingest the same CFM, why would they change the size of the air filter, depending on what transmission is behind it? Just curious.

·
Registered
436 Posts
How close do the throttle and clutch linkages come to the air cleaner? My guess is there is some clearance issue related to the associated manual transmission hardware.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How close do the throttle and clutch linkages come to the air cleaner? My guess is there is some clearance issue related to the associated manual transmission hardware.
It's possable, they did do it for a reason.

The clutch is cable operated though, so no linkage/Zbar. And it has a factory tranny mounted floor shifter, so no 3-on-the-tree linkage there either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts