Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d9oe block that runs like a wet fart. A friend of mine owns a junkyard and suggested a set of gt40p heads which I agree would be a great upgrade but then he said something that I have never heard before "match and reuse pushrods and lifters from the explorer 302 in the D9o3 to limit valve train noise ie. Lifter tick". Has anyone heard of this? Can I just swap the heads, buy a less then .500 lift cam and new intake? or does this lifter pushrod idea sound like a decent one. I am trying to do this on a tight income.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I think where he is going is that with a non-adjustable valve train (hydraulic), lash is determined by varying push rod lengths.

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
Are you going with retro fit roller set up?
+1. The question is because the pushrods for roller cams and ones for flat tappets are completely different lengths. Both the D9 and GT40 use shims to set lifter preload. If you have ticking, set your preload properly. If no joy, repair/replace the damaged parts.

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a little bit of all the answers. 1) If I did the head swap would I need to measure for new push rods? 2) Would I have to swap rockers from old heads onto the new heads? 3) Basically I am asking if I swap gt40p heads and dumped the boat anchor D80e heads in the Atlantic Ocean what would I need to do to make them work?

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Use the 40p rockers and measure for pushrods. You might get lucky and be able to use the pushrods from your old engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts