Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U XLT, 4WD 6.6L 2BL OHV 8cyl that I'm trying to put A/C back in. The truck had factory air, but the evaporator is the only original part in this setup (along with the controls inside the cab on the dashboard).

The new compressor is working. All the pressures look good (the low side is around 35 to 40). But we're finding that the air out of the vents is only dropping 20 degrees max. We've checked to see if the blend door was not working and it was getting heat from the heater core. We blocked off the heater core completely with the same results. It just doesn't seem to be getting cool enough. The large fittings on the firewall should be cold (maybe 40 degrees), but it's only cooling to about 79 degrees, about a 15 degree drop.

We cannot see into the evaporator box to see if there is an expansion valve in the system, but we did not put an expansion valve in with the new system we put on.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Lisa

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, we tried that. Unfortunately, it's still the same as far as cooling. The high side went to 275. And that is well over what the guy who I purchased the compressor from (Nostalgic Air Parts) said to charge it. Right now, we have about 30 oz. in it and he says to have it at 24 oz.

signed scratching my head,
Lisa

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The expansion valve should be back at the firewall inside the engine compartment. I assume you also replaced the drier and at least flushed the condenser out. Otherwise, you may have a partial flow blockage somewhere in the system.

I rebuilt mine and it doesn't get freezing cold either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We cannot find an expansion valve. Should there be one there?

By the way, all parts are new, except the evaporator and the dials on the inside dashboard which control the A/C.

How do I figure out the cubic feet of the system I have?

Signed still scratching,
Lisa

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I'm grasping at straws a bit, but does anyone think it could be an electrical/thermostat issue?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
We cannot find an expansion valve. Should there be one there? Lisa
Won't have an expansion valve, it'll have an orifice tube in the inlet tube on the evaporator core. Even my 85 F-250 had an orifice tube - I don't know what year they changed to using an expansion valve.

Best advice I can offer is to pull the system apart and flush the lines, condenser, and evaporator. Replace the drier, orifice tube, and o-rings. Reassemble the system & put in the compatible oil for the refrigerant you're going to use. Pull a vacuum on the system & make sure it holds it. Then recharge with refrigerant and see what it does.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Mine is a 79 with factory AC and has the expansion valve. LMC Truck part number 43-0762.
Weird, because the 73 truck I redid the A/C on years ago had an orifice tube setup - though it might not have been a factory install. And when I look up my old 85 diesel online it says it should have an expansion valve - yet I know better - it had an orifice tube. I rebuilt the system myself and converted it to 134.

Edit : well, according to LMC the 85 did use an orifice - yet a couple of the parts house sites say different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we found an expansion valve and modified the hose for it. It's installed and cooling. But now it's getting TOO cold and freezing up.

one step forward....

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Wish mine would get too cold. We had that problem in a work truck and would just turn the ac off from time to time. A thermostatic switch to cycle the compressor on and off would fix this but my truck doesn't have one of those. I suspect yours doesn't either. It may be something you can add.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts