Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just bought a 1982 crown vic with a carbureted 302 with 52,000 miles.... Its been sitting for quite some time and it could use a good tune up... what i would like too do is; Change the intake manifold, get rid of all the vacuum line garbage, new carb, upgrade to an electronic distributor and advance the timing a bit.... Is this a good idea to gain a little performance? Im not too educated on these older style engines so i have no idea what too order... i would just order the parts from summit while trying too keep cost down... any help or suggestions would be great! thankyou:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Crown Vic 302's were pretty low on power back then at 130-140HP. You'd need a cam and heads to really get it going, or find a different motor. 86-93 Mustang exhaust manifolds are like headers and would help too.

87-93 Mustang motors have ~225HP. Trucks from those years should be similar; they've got the same heads. There's also the mid-late 90's Explorer and Mountaineer GT40 / GT40p motors you can use.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The Crown Vic 302's were pretty low on power back then at 130-140HP. You'd need a cam and heads to really get it going, or find a different motor. 86-93 Mustang exhaust manifolds are like headers and would help too.

87-93 Mustang motors have ~225HP. Trucks from those years should be similar; they've got the same heads. There's also the mid-late 90's Explorer and Mountaineer GT40 / GT40p motors you can use.
+1.......That was not a good year for performance..Heads are terrible with big chambers that kill compression..

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
+1.......That was not a good year for performance..Heads are terrible with big chambers that kill compression..
+2. Except that makes them prime candidates for a turbo or supercharger... hint.... hint... ;) Although I'm serious, that's a big leap from an intake and carb. Give some thought to your goals with this car before sinking too much extra cash and labor into it. A little extra pep is fine, but more than that will be an involved project.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not looking too make a race car im just lookin too get a little more power and acceleration... I'd like to be able too spin some tire when i stand on it lol. im so im not looking for a huge performance gain.... But If i were too turbo charge it, how costly would it be and what all would i have too buy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay i found a set of GT40 Iron Cobra heads. if i bolted these on an intake and a carb would that give me a respectable gain in performance????

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yea, tho I'd put dual exhaust on the short list to really take advantage of the other upgrades. Check the heads and your block with a straight-edge before installing to be sure they'll mate up properly.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Okay i found a set of GT40 Iron Cobra heads. if i bolted these on an intake and a carb would that give me a respectable gain in performance????
Yes it should..The GT heads should give you a slight increase in compression and will flow a little better...Maybe have them milled a bit for even more compression..According to the book I have the stock 82 motor was only 8.3:1 compression..Adding the GT heads should get it into the high 8ish range.Would be nice to see it at least 9:1...Add a performer or performer rpm intake with a small 4 barrel carb..Some nice free flowing exhaust with some headers will help out as well..

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Hey check out this thread; the one guy is saying GT40 heads won't work on the non-HP 5.0's: Question about 90 Grand Marquis 5.0? - Four Eyed Forums
Certain 1986-1992 engines (not all) had flat-top pistons with no valve reliefs. All other 302/5.0L engines had reliefs except those. The OPs engine is an '82 with valve reliefs. Even if you don't have them, or they are not large enough, you can mod them in the car. Search for a couple Forum tech articles about doing it. Some companies sell special cutters for the job that might be a bit slicker - but not required.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so i will put my heads on and then i need too find a specific set of headers that will fit best in my car, any ideas? Also What would be a good carb that would work with my automatic overdrive transmission??? And would i have too jet the carb?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Search for some 86-93 Mustang manifolds; they're pretty well headers and you can find them for <$50. A 600-650 carb would be good for it. Dunno on the tuning.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You will need a Locar TV cable . Carb linkage kit for it. Best off with the Hi Tec one last longer usally. One for the tranny might be required too. It will need to be adjusted properly and never drive with it disconected. If you do I have a couple spairs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts