Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice from those who have done the swap.
I have a 84 F150 2WD with a 351W stock except for Intake, carb, and dizzy. I would like to swap the current C6 for an AOD. I know the AOD was offered in these truck that year behind the 351W, so I would think the swap would be relativly easy. What would be some obstacles I might run into, Flywheel, Starter, shifter linkage, trans mount location, driveshaft, tranny cooler lines, torque convertor? anything else?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I know the AOD was offered in these truck that year behind the 351W, so I would think the swap would be relativly easy

just find a truck with the AOD and get everything from it

·
Registered
106 Posts
hey there i am actually doing the opposite, i am taking a c-6 out and putting in a c-6 on my 302 truck. you need a c-6 flywheel with the right balance. check out ford racing that is where i am getting mine and you need a c-6 convertor. the cross member and trans mount is the same and put in an aftermarket shifter and you are set to go! by the way my truck is an '84 also. check it out!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2075229
good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The AOD was offered in these style of trucks, and the actually transmission and stuff should be easy to add, especially if you have a donor truck or a really good junk yard, BUT I believe the issue would be with mating the 351W to the AOD, for some reason this combination was only in a '79 LTD with 351W/AOD, or so I believe anyway...there was some stipulation for this combo, the main difference being the flex plate, which you should be able to buy if you had to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, nice Truck greasemonkey85. The flexplate is what I am not sure about. I understand that a 302 flexplate will be 50oz balance and I need a 28oz balance for the 351W. The tranny should bolt up since the 302 and 351 has the same SB bolt pattern. I was wondering if the C6 flexplate would be any different then the AOD flexplate with 28oz balance. Torque convertor I will buy new.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: perrina on 10/14/06 12:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have used the same flexplate with an aod and the c6 so I'm sure you can. I pulled the aod from my truck and swapped in a C6. I just used the C6 converter.

You will need an AOD converter that goes with the transmission, you can't use a c6 converter......... I had to make a crossmember too when I changed the 4 speed for the aod I think the aod was longer, but when I put the c6 in it I used the longer addapter (4X4) so it lined up with the crossmember.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts