Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone let me know what the issues are with these motors. I was told these are not the best choice. Something with the heads and the piston release valve.

What are some other types of issues have you experienced with this year block. Are these ok to run if you are not going to a super radical cam and what is the limit of duration you can use without doing too much mods to the rest of the internals

Thanks,
Rich

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
E7TE truck heads came along in 87' therefore the pistons on the 87' 5.0s were notched with valve reliefs to accomodate this.

86' pistons are a true flat top with no relief therefore you cannot easily run a head intended for 87-up engines on an 86' because of piston to valve clearance issues. You can have the 86' pistons notched but then most general thinking is "why bother"? Just try to get an 87'-up 5.0

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than that, if I decided to run the '86 block straight up stock, are there any long-term issues with longevity of the motor or is this specifically a performance/upgrade type issue.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
plus i think the pistons were cast not forged like in 87. not 100% sure but this is what i remember when shopping for a used longblock

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
oh and with no valve reliefs you cant run certain cam lifts. the 86 block from what i recall is the ones to avoid

1 - 6 of 6 Posts