Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a '86 mustang with a completely stock 5.0 H.O. and he wants to put a bigger cam in it but he says that the pistons are flat tops with no valve reliefs, So he wants to know what is the biggest cam he can run without modifications. part numbers would be helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If I were him, I would would spend my money elsewhere that would show much more improvements such as gears, pulleys, exhaust, heads....
If the only thing he's going to do is swap cams, then he's wasting time and money.
A cam swap should be much further down the list, at this point.
But, to answer your question, I would keep valve lift under .500 and duration in the 220*@.050 area.
Just my .02 cents

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is going to convert this motor to carburation anyway and put it in a '69 cougar...... but, 500 lift huh ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 86 is speed density so there are not many cam options where it will still idle. I think there are (or used to be) some speed density specific cams but they are not far from stock. You need mass air or a carb to change the cam and have a decent idle.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
E303 cam would be a good choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
what cam would work better the e or b 303 ... im going to convert to carb keep the 5 speed trans and install in a 69 cougar w/ 3.50 gears?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I would say the E cam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts