Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have never changed a core support before. is it hard to do? is there anything i need to know before diving into it? the one thats on the car is bent up a little bit from a truck that backed up on to the front of my car in a walmart parking lot. (ya) real nice huh then drove off lol.. but i see alot of spot welds i have to drill out and all the aftermarket one's that ive seen is'nt boxed like the factory one's, they look flimsy.. but is anyone has done this to a 5.0 mustang please give me your input...
thanx alot

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
yeah its pretty standard like replacing any other panel with spot welds. Just drill and pop apart. Just make dam sure everything is in alignment before you go welding, cross measure and if you do the whole front support, install the hood and fenders to make sure the height is correct etc.
To keep it all secure, just use self taping screws and screw it all together. This way there will not be any clamps in your way so you can pre fit everything before welding. Also be sure to spray any overlapping seams with weld thu cold galvanized spray to keep it from rusting or bleeding out rust stains.
Another good thing to do is go to your local body shop and ask to see their frame alingment book for your year of stang and get the factory measurements to help line things up. These books will also show where and how to measure correctly for a sure fit.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
wow dont look that bad to replace it. Personally before I went to all that work i would pull it a bit and straighten it . Otherwise like I was getting at you can just do the top support bar as was stated by another as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts