Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
The very early sc t-bird engines had very few problems. As with anything all the bugs get worked out thru the years . They are next to impossible to work on. I think they give you 6 hours to change the plugs. But they can take a pounding . If you look at for sale cars most will have 140-160,000 miles on them.I have owned some and I think they are great. Put a search in for sc t-bird and you can find the owners club, there is alot of info there

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Worst thing are head gaskets on 3.8's. The SC's have a better gasket but are a PITA to work on. Fun as all get out!

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Plug change takes about 6,5 hours.. Watch out the plug wires-the hi output ignition will eat them out.It will happen unexpectedly and you wonder what the heck is happening.When the boost comes on the engine will not run well.
In had a aod SC few years ago.The trans gave up the sixth day I owned the car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i have a regular 89 t-bird (no sc) but i had to have the head gaskets replaced on that (as well as the 89 couger lol) the transmission was just rebuilt about 9 months ago and the car is just falling apart! i think the torque converter is bad but i am not sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts