Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 92 f150 has a straight 6 in it. the fuse that runs the radio, interior lights, speedometer, and gauge lights keeps blowing. it blows as soon as u put it in. at first it only blew when you hit bumps but now its right away. i have the dash torn apart and have wiring diagrams and i have tested power and ground to all the things the fuse runs and it is getting ground and power. i found the place where all the grounds go to the body and i tested for ground on all the wires that come off of it like every 6 inches until the clips the wires go into. i have traced all the wires and i founds no damage of any of them that i can see. then i figured it must be the things that the fuse runs like the gauges and radio and lights and stuff. so i unplugged all of it and put it on the seat. even unplugged the light switch because the circuit runs through that to. it still pops right away. i am really frustrated with this and cant figure this out. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't have a wiring diagram here with me, but is your cig lighter on that same circuit? I had an '84 that did what yours is doing and it turned out to be a problem with the cig lighter hot wire was grounding out. Sounds like you have a similar short somewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the cigar lighter is on a different fuse. i am going to go through the wires one more time and if i still cant track down the short do you think it is possible to run a couple new wires for the gauge and the radio? it wont bother me if i dont have the interior lights. im mainly concerned about the speed gauge and gauge lights and radio. the wire that is run off of that fuse do you think there is a way to run a new one for those things?

·
Registered
809 Posts
my 92 f150 has a straight 6 in it. the fuse that runs the radio, interior lights, speedometer, and gauge lights keeps blowing. it blows as soon as u put it in. at first it only blew when you hit bumps but now its right away. i have the dash torn apart and have wiring diagrams and i have tested power and ground to all the things the fuse runs and it is getting ground and power. i found the place where all the grounds go to the body and i tested for ground on all the wires that come off of it like every 6 inches until the clips the wires go into. i have traced all the wires and i founds no damage of any of them that i can see. then i figured it must be the things that the fuse runs like the gauges and radio and lights and stuff. so i unplugged all of it and put it on the seat. even unplugged the light switch because the circuit runs through that to. it still pops right away. i am really frustrated with this and cant figure this out. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
If you have everything the fuse feeds unplugged and fuse still blows then i would think you have a shorted wire somewhere. Was just blowing before when you hit bumps? Now blowing right away? Wire was prob rubbing/bouncing off somewhere metal now resting on it and grounding out.

Quick way to test is run a test light across the two connectors the fuse goes into.
While you still have acc's unplugged.
If test light lights you have a wire shorted. Power comes in to feed fuse and if one of the wires going out to feed one of the acc's is grounded light will light.

Now if you can separate the wires that come off the fuse going to the acc's (with acc's still unplugged) and can test each wire individually the same way with test light ( connecting one side to power and other side to the individual wire feeding acc) the acc wire that is shorted should light test light. Should narrow it down to where the short is.

Hope it helps

Lou

·
Registered
106 Posts
What about the fuse panel itself? Had an '88 towncar doing the same thing and the connection on the back of the fuse panel proper was bad. I fixed that and the problem was solved. The back of your fuse panel could be melted as well causing this issue. Sounds like you have unplugged everything so that leaves the fuse panel itself and perhaps the wire feeding the fuse panel. What kind of voltage do you have coming into the fuse panel?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i found my problem. it was my own mistake. i followed the wire everywhere except i forgot to follow it along the drivers side floor. it was about two feet of wire. i unwrapped the wires and looked at that wire and about an inch of the insulation was worn and melted and the actual wire was kind of black from shorting out on the floor. so i cut the wire and used a butt connector and taped it up nice and now i have no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts