Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1995 ford f 150 and have some money at the time.....any good mods out there for a 4.9L which is a straight 6 Liter that will help in either the fuel economy area or performance.....or even looks! thanks and please leave me your comments.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Seeing as its a 95, it is fuel injected and computer controlled, so you'll have a harder time finding mods. The 300 just doesn't have aftermarket support.
You can try the obvious things like a K&N air filter and running synthetic oil, but as far as serious mods there is little you can do. You could swap in some headers, but your truck should have a split manifold from the factory, so there won't be much gain at normal driving RPMs. An exhaust pipe upgrade, maybe to duals wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i would love to have the K&N air intake system the hose thingy and everything, like 250 buckers!!!! On the exhaust....the only thing is...its a 6 cyclinder.....i have a 1965 mustang with duals and i love it but just kinda nervous bout the sound in a straight 6.....and one installed exhaust on one before and what kind of setup......hows the sound, can you notice any fuel or performance difference.....what about the band for the buck.....thank you by the way for givin some advice!!!! it always helps!

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
I had a K&N air filter on my old 94 4.9, and a straight thru glasspak. It got about the same mileage, (12 mpg), towing the stang/trailer around.
Now as far as what a 6 cyl sounds like with duals?
there were 2 running around town here like that. One had pipes exiting both sides, one had just duals out the back. The one with the duals out the back BY FAR sounded better than the one out the sides. Still a little strange sounding, (made you WATCH the truck go by when you heard it to figure out what made the sound), but it did sound ok.
ON another note, when the guy was 'getting on it', personally I didn't like the 'note'.

My .002

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah its a different sound from a straight six and duals. Its gonna be loud too. Something about those engines and duals equals loud.
Its hard to describe, but I like it, its more snarly and sharp than a V8.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts