Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This f-150 I have had a few years. Has 200,000 miles but power is great , run very well excelpt that ticking. Once at stop light it ticked so loud it cut off, It cranked back and continued to lowes. Cut off, cranked back when I came out ran like a top. No noise at all. Motor is a 4.6

I was thinking a couple things. Noise is on left bank at front.

Was thinking maybe the timing chain and gear being it is a over head cam.

Sounds like a lifter going down but louder at times. Sometimes noise is almost gone.My delima is with miles on it , replace engine or fix that motor? I got a 4.6 in a police car I could swap out with 125,000 miles.

Truck has been doing that few years now when I had it. I gave truck to my son-in-law for xmas for. It is a very nice looking 4-wheel drive xlt. I put seafoam in oil and gas white smoke rolled. After it cleard out noise went away making me think lifter. Maybe another motor but dag it runs great. I have seen 2 more trucks like it doing same thing. They said they gona drive till it breaks. I want it fixed. Motor worth fixing?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have seen the plastic on the chain guides break and they make noise. really not too bad to do t-chains, guides and tensioners on these motors.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got truck back friday and it ran geart , no noise . Today it cut off and there is a noise louder than before. I runs ragged , no power, jumps in and out in lower gear wanting power but in a strain. Local shop changed tensoins , bushings chain and so on . I gota take it back . I gave this truck to my son-in-law cause his dad is not a dad should be. I hate this , sucks big time. What can it be ? Please help

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it is the lifters. Sounds like a motor with no oil. I got a motor in a police car with a 4.6 . Just debating on getting that motor and putting the timming chain we just placed in other motor in police car motor and stick that in . Truck has 261,000 miles but a triton motor has a good block . Gota pull it apart at any rate. Will look at the heads and go from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts