Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My $100 daily driver Honda is a piece of junk and I was offered a nice 80 mustang with the non turbo 2.3 for free. It has a recent motor and trans. Pretty gutless but I was thinking for a daily driver I would electric fan in and cam it as much as I could and still get by smog. Think it would be worth the effort?
Tracy

·
Registered
110 Posts
take a look at esslingers stuff. my boss has a mini stock and has 3500 bucks in the motor. it runs real strong but its still a four banger. cheaper to build a 5.0.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
cheaper to build a 5.0.
Not hardly cheaper than the 5.0. For what an Essy head costs for a 2.3 you can buy 2 sets of heads for a 5.0....well...almost, but you get the point.

The 2.3 is best left stock. Once you start modding it the problems start appearing. And trust me, it's one thing after another after another....and it never ends. This is especially true if you plan on using for a daily driver.

·
Registered
110 Posts
exactly what i said ,its cheaper to build a v8. boss had spent over a grand building a stock cast iron head!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
the 2.3 is a solid reliable engine even in mildly modified form. you can add a ford roller cam and followers, along with a header and an offy intake with a 390cfm holley carb, and get decent power from this engine.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On 2006-12-10 06:55, hotrodconsolo wrote:
exactly what i said ,its cheaper to build a v8
Been a LOOOONG weekend! Sorry....I'm gonna go get some sleep now...finally

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well i have to tell you that if you intend on smogging this car then youll have to leave it alone. There are not any speed related parts that will pass smog for the 2.3 engine. Sure there are many parts to make it go faster N/A but youll have to tear it all off and put it back together EXACTLY as it was stock. The problem?? The factory computer will be a limiting factor. It wont compensate for any imporved airflow etc. So youll get drivablity issues, and it may not even idle. So youll have to get this thing to run without the computer. Major work for 20 HP.

This car will run reliably for many years if you leave it alone. Yes its a major Dog but id leave it alone till you can drop a leagle 5.0 Mass air setup with the computer and everything from a donor car.
good luck

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of as I had the money, do the rear eand then gather all the pieces for the 5.0. That way I could just drive it while doing so. If I convert in the summmer I could just drive my '64. Do they make a stand alone harness for the mass air 5.0 or do I need to use a factory harness?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Or....if you want to surprise some folks, drop in a 2.3 turbo from either a turbocoupe, XR4Ti, or SVO. They respond well to mods and will do 300 HP pretty easily with the stock head, block, computer, turbo, and exhaust manifold. Boy, the look on folks faces when you smoke their azz...and tell them they just got beat by 140 cubic inches, the look is one thing--priceless. Speaking from experience.

Only thing though, the 2.3 turbo once you get modding it, there is no end, literally. Once you max out the injectors, computer, head, etc, you will want to upgrade just like I did. It's not hard to make 450+ HP out of one...still using the stock bottom end. They're tougher than you think! Mine stopped at around 350 HP. Cummins turbo from a Dodge pickup, megasquirt DIY EFI, home made header, 72 lb injectors (overkill...should have bought 60lb), home-ported dual plug head (the one that comes with 8 spark plugs..also has a roller cam & followers), etc. Fun to drive and actually pretty fast. FAster than my 03 lightning. But only when it ran. Half the time I spent working on it. When I sold it, it was going great...but I told myself after I grenaded the 200,000 mile engine that if it stranded me the third time, I would sell it...and I did. 2nd time the distributor gear crapped out & took out the AUX shaft as well...3rd time the fuel pump quit, I replaced it then sold it. Got my money back...and then some! BTW, it knocked down a solid 27-30 mpg on the highway...with 3.73 gears and a later model T5.

But the 5.0 swap is easier, cheaper, and actually has more potential. 2.3 turbo engines are for those who dare to be different and have the money/time to tinker. For a harness, you can buy them from I believe Painless. They aren't cheap, but they are nice! Junkyard is another source but sometimes they're hacked up before you get them pulled...which means they sometimes need repair. I had to repair my SVO harness....and believe me, they're not fun. Time consuming to say the least.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mavman on 12/12/06 6:35am ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts