Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fired up fresh 302 for a first run...did as usual,prime it..fire it...rev it around 2000 for 20minutes (new cam),just the usual stuff.
Noticed, that both no. 2 and no. 6 cylinders are dead...can this be ignition related, because first no 2 fires and then no 6...otherwise it runs fine, is there a chance that wires are connected wrongly on cap...?
Some advice could really be welcome at this stage.....

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Did you check that the firing order is correct and you hooked the plug wires up in the order that was listed on the cam card?

Could this be a 351w cam or firing order and not the 289/302 firing order cam?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Did you pull those two plugs and check for improper gap? Did you check them for cracked insulators? Did you ohm the wires or check to make sure they have the ends attched correctly and plugged into the cap and on the plug? Have you tried switching those two wires out with two you have laying around or two other cylinders? Did you check the cap for carbon trails or arcing?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Next suggestion is pull the valve covers and see if the cam has lobes worn off on those two cylinders would be my next suggestion or the lifter/rocker is adjusted correctly (not too tight)..........

and/or run a compression check on those two cylinders.....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 4/25/02 2:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is your distributor have a magnetic pickup? If it does, check the clearance between the pick up and the wheel when it comes around to #2 and #6..Other causes could be low compression(no compression..no combustion). Have you checked for spark at the dead cylinders?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Like someone said already, check the plugs and wires, even if they are new. I had to throw out 300 miles driven Accel wires when I checked them out with a timing light and ohm meter. All but one was not in measureable ohm range (there were more than 1000k ohms) Some of those wires seemed to work ok at idle but 3 was really not delivering spark at all.

Lesson to me, check, doublecheck, triplecheck....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.