Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what the overall opinion on 2 door cars vs. 4 door cars is here. I'm a member on another site that this was brought up on, and my 4 door Fairlane was pretty much blasted. Some guys were even kind of rude about it, saying it was a huge waste of time/money to fix it up. I posted the following pic as a side by side comparison:

Here's my car:

In the end, I will build what makes me happy, but was just curious what you all thought.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
makes you happy , doent matter what others think

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
4 doors dont get a lot of love...I was never a fan- yes they are practical, easier to get in/out/park with room to open doors. but they were always kinda ugly compared to the sleek 2 doors... before I started driving, I hated 4 doors.

however, things change...like they say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. I wouldnt go as far as saying I like the looks of our 65 4 door more than my 69 fastback mustang, but it has grown on me, I definitely wouldnt call it ugly anymore...moreso Ive kinda gained respect for those that loved these old cars back in the day and still do. had my old neighbor preferred big block stickshift convertibles to 4 door 289 LTDs, well as cool as that mighta been we wouldnt have worked on it any harder or cared for it any more...

theres always gonna be folks that hate 4 doors, believe me, I took a lot of flak from guys at work for spending a year on a 'worthless 4 door' while my mustang-in far better shape- got shoved on the back burner again... but to each his own :)

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
It isn't a matter of hating four door vehicles, but only preferring the 2 door. there are a few four door vehicles I prefer over 2dr.

I owned a 59 Chevy Impala 4dr ht back in the day. White with red interior. 283 power glide. It was a fun ride. being slow was what made it look good.

Had a 57 Plymouth 4dr. that won me a lot of money.
Another was a 56 Mercury 4dr hard top with cruiser skirts that sat good at the RED ROOSTER drive in.
So yes, there's a place for any car, just a matter of preference on your part. Just ask FE.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
After I got married saya few years passed and I got a 55 ford 4 door. I had more fun with that car I beleive than any car I ever had. My friends jumped in and out like FE said not having to push the backseat backwards. Makes for alot of room.

Who said a4 door was ugly ? I donot think so, sure a 2 door is slick as a 2 seater but 4 doors I have no problem with. Drive it as you will see 4 doors running around getting in and out will be fun. Wish I had my 55 back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm glad to see there aren't alot of 4 door haters here, not vocal one's anyway. I'm definately going to build mine regardless. Since I'm a family man, 4 doors make more sense anyway. A slick 2 door would be nice, but I'll be happy either way in the end.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
After I got married saya few years passed and I got a 55 ford 4 door. I had more fun with that car I beleive than any car I ever had.
I had a 57 and the same can be said for that car... More fun times than any other, and it WOULD run, someone had done some tweakin on it before I got it... was a 292 with all the good 312 t'bird stuff put on. intake heads cam exhaust etc. Three on the tree had been converted to a 4 on da floor..... Black and Yellow...

Ahhhh the good ole days....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The 57 , the hood raised backwards which was cool. That was year I was born.
Mine was turquoise ,3 on tree. I always had a problem with the wrap around exaust manifold leaking. I could be running say 50, pull emergency brake and 55 would spin around and around. My wife's sisterwas looking at it as I was playing some old rock and roll on radio. She said it still plays old music. I said yes it has alot of old music stored up on each cannel. She was a dense lady and still is, lol. 55 had a 312 . I justasked my wife if she remembers what her sister asked as she lol. She remembered.

You gona build it anyway? Why would you not ? You will find out a 4 door is more popular than you think.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Acually the 2 black fairlanes below , the 4 door looks sweeter . The rims does not look as good on 2 door as the rims on 4 door. Maybe the 2 extra door chrome sets it off. You can send that 4 door fairlane to my house if ya like, I give'er a great home.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The 57 , the hood raised backwards which was cool. than
Best thing about that car? , cost me a whole 5 bux!!! drove the dog out of it for about a year and half. Cant really remember WHAT I did with it, maybe gave it away, I REALLY dont remember....

It saw the drive in movies every weekend, 5 bux a car load. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually have 2 '67's. Short version of the story is: The more rusted one was bought by my dad then given to my brother. He fell ill, and was never able to drive and handed it over to me. That was about 25 years ago. In the stupidity that is youth, I let it set and get to state it's currently in. Then, about a year ago I decided to fix it up (after my dad and brother passed away a couple of years ago), but needed a parts car. I came across the other one locally and purchased it. After looking it over, I discovered it's in really good shape. I did start to look around for a 2 door, but all the ones I found were pricey, so I decided to rebuild a 4 door. I plan on using both cars to build a pretty nice one.

The original one had a 289 (gone now),power assist brakes and a/c.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That was about 25 years ago. In the stupidity that is youth, I let it set and get to state it's currently in.
Ahhhh yes, I know THAT feeling all to well.... ;)

{otherwise I might still have the '57} ;)

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
In the stupidity that is youth, I let it set and get to state it's currently in.

Ashamed to say I can relate to that... just out of highschool, I picked up a decent 69 camaro with a blown motor, had big plans but started working 70-90 hours a week for a few years- it sat out and rotted...

three yrs after buying it, gave it to a 'scrap cars hauled free' guy in the paper. sad part was our paperboy had asked me every few months if I was ready to sell it yet, shoulda gave it to him, woulda made someone a nice car... by the time I noticed the undercarriage rot, I really felt bad for not giving it to the kid, still do.

now, in the stupidity of too many projects, my 69 mustang is still in the garage engineless where its been since 1984. God willing, 2013 will be its year finally :)

Tim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now, in the stupidity of too many projects, my 69 mustang is still in the garage engineless where its been since 1984. God willing, 2013 will be its year finally :)

And I can relate to that. I recently sold my '69 Ford truck to make room/time/money available for the Fairlane.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts