Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Ford Muscle, but does get me back and forth to work/shcool everyday. I think i have a wheel bearing going out on drivers side; When going down the road ( 60mph ) and i turn left to correct i can feel a small thumping in steering wheel and can hear it also.

Would like to do this myself, anyone has some advise procedures on doing? going to look for a Hanes manual today for car.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I think i have a wheel bearing going out on drivers side; When going down the road ( 60mph ) and i turn left to correct i can feel a small thumping in steering wheel and can hear it also.

Would like to do this myself, anyone has some advise procedures on doing? going to look for a Hanes manual today for car.

Thanks

Kevin
Is there any noise/pull going straight? If the noise is more on turns, I would suspect a CV joint.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Is there any noise/pull going straight? If the noise is more on turns, I would suspect a CV joint.
klutz your at it again .

turns left and noise , bad right wheel bearing .

add , affecting steering , also could be a tire

OP , more so when just first used/cold tires ? if so tire

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a friend who use to work as a Ford Mechanic take a ride and he suggested the front right. Also you can feel it come from the right front along with here it. He doesn't live close enough or he would help plus he just had a baby.

Regardless if i feel it can be done at home with my tools i will do both. I intially thought the cva joint also, but he said start with the bearing.

Just looking for someone with experience and a better feeling about how to do it.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
While it could be the bearing, I agree it's more likely the CV or tire with the "thumping". Hub bearings usually have more of a growl when going bad, or a heavy click/clunk if really toast. As they go bad, the effect is like magnified road noise. Anyway, the hub bearing presses out of the hub and new one presses in. Use a new seal. I strongly recommend you use only a press of some type, as hammer-and-socket methods usually distort the bearing and you're doing it again soon.

My preferred alternative - buy a pair (L and R) of replacement hub assemblies (with bearings) on-line and do them both. Most folks are shocked to find that two new hub assemblies are generally as cheap (about $40-50) as just one bearing and seal at the local store. Do some shopping before you buy.

David

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
While it could be the bearing, I agree it's more likely the CV or tire with the "thumping". Hub bearings usually have more of a growl when going bad, or a heavy click/clunk if really toast. As they go bad, the effect is like magnified road noise. Anyway, the hub bearing presses out of the hub and new one presses in. Use a new seal. I strongly recommend you use only a press of some type, as hammer-and-socket methods usually distort the bearing and you're doing it again soon.

My preferred alternative - buy a pair (L and R) of replacement hub assemblies (with bearings) on-line and do them both. Most folks are shocked to find that two new hub assemblies are generally as cheap (about $40-50) as just one bearing and seal at the local store. Do some shopping before you buy.

David
you also think it may be a CV ! turning left or right would be the same .
odds are its not a CV . clunck on engagement thats a CV

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I don't think the OP said the thumping (vibration) he felt in the steering wheel, and sound he was hearing, was happening when he was turning. As I read it, he was talking about adding a little pressure to the left to correct a drift to the right while running down the highway. Is the car drifting, or pulling to the right because of the car, or the road? Can't tell that from here. With the pulsation and sound occurring while running down the highway it would seem that that it could be many things other than wheel bearings and CV joints. I think a better description of the symptoms are needed.

You Tube should have videos that will show the process and procedures for changing those hubs and bearings. I found it good resource when I replaced the front bearings in my 98 Taurus. Expect it will take much longer than you expect the first time you do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts