Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, brothers 2002 V6 mustang not running right. Starts good but when you accelerate at around 3000 rpm looses power. Then idles rough at 500 rpm. Fuel filter and pump changed. Any ideas ? Thanks !
Mitch

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Have you checked fuel pressure? MAF sensor working ok?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Try just unplugging the MAF.

It will still not run right but if you're able to pull more than 3k rpm then that's likely your problem

·
Registered
251 Posts
Could also be the ignition module. Not sure where they are located in an '02. Had a bad one in my 94, it would run great to about 4k then fall all over it's self.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. When we were going in to clean the MAF we found the problem. Air cleaner was plugged with leaves. Cleaned out air box put in new filter, cleared codes and it runs good again.Thanks.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Cool. Well, at least you fixed the low pressure problem before it became it's own issue. Thanks for replying with the final fix.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Could also be the ignition module. Not sure where they are located in an '02. Had a bad one in my 94, it would run great to about 4k then fall all over it's self.

If it's the same as my '04 (3.9L) the module/coil pack is mounted on the passenger side of the upper intake. Hard to miss it. Cam synchronizer is a common problem on them, though. Takes the place of the distributor. The little turd V6 is similar to a B/RB Mopar. Kind of cool but still 2 cylinders shorter than what it should have been. Can't complain too much though. 275,000 on mine and still going, and 28 MPG to boot. Wish it were 30+ but it's a heck of a lot better than the Lightning :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts