Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it true that the new f-150 5.4L has glow plugs instead of spark plugs a freind of my dads just bought a new one and told him that. how can that be true i thought they used coil on plugs like the newer mustangs.can anyone tell me or at least point me to where i can get my facts staight

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
They just use normal spark plugs, just like last year. They're placed a little differently, but they're still there. Glow plugs were for diesel engines before they came out with preheaters in the intake manifold. I can't think of a way a glow plug would work in a gas burner LOL.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
All I have heard was that it uses a coil on plug ignition system. I dont even know how a glow plug would work on a gasoline engine.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Yeah, same stuff as last year, just jostled around a bit.
Haven't had to take one of the 3 valvers apart yet, but I"m sure it's coming..........
For that matter, haven't even driven one yet..................us poor dealership techs.........always the last to know..............

·
Registered
231 Posts
I thought the idea was to keep the electrode out of the way of flame front travel??? Ala Splitfire and Bosch 4 prongers. So it never needs gapping, I'd rather gap the things once a month than lose even a little horsepower and efficiency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts