Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Mustang GT with a 4.6 that has been having some issues lately. Started with a misfire on one of the cylinders that led me to change the coil packs. I changed all Coil packs and spark plugs at the same time, and it ran great for about a month, and started chugging and misfiring again. Took it to Ford and they said a Water leak from the thermostat gasket was causing it to spray the coil packs. Changed the thermostat, and gasket then found it leaking from the intake manifold. I completely changed the intake manifold to a brand new one, and new gaskets and cleaned and dried everything on the top end of the motor. Put it all back together, and drove it hot for a couple hours, and it is still missing, and chugging like it's holding back. I can't come across a vacuum leak anywhere, and have checked about everything I can think of...Any thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jon, I know you changed the sparkplugs, but have you changed them since you fixed the last coolant leak by installing a new intake manifold? On mine, the coolant was traveling from the leaky thermostat housing all the way back to cylinder number 8. There it filled up the spark plug cavity and caused the plug to fail. Once a plug fails it takes several miles before the computer gives you a code telling you which one. I'd just pull the coils out on the drivers side bank and look for moisture and replace any plugs that got wet after blowing all the liquid out of the hole and coil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts