Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 6.0 power stroke will not start it truns over but will not start.
Yesterday I started it and back it out of my garage. 2 hours latter restarted it and drove it into the garage (about 25 feet) turned it off checked it position in the garage and needed to move it would not start( this was a matter of 10 seconds) The starter turns it over just fine, no start, if it were a gasoline engine I would say I had no ignition spark, but she's a diesel. I have checked Fuse # 20 and Fuse #40 they are good.
Any suggestions before I have to have her towed to a shop?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
It could be the glow plugs, the fuel pump, the computer (ECU) or any number of things. I bought an OBD reader and keep it in the truck all the time. Whenever I get a "Check Engine" light I plug it in and in seconds I know exactly what's going on inside. Granted, 99% of the time it's not something I can fix but at least I know what it is, how critical it is and from there I can get a basic idea on what it's going to cost.

Just my two cents.

John

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Agreed, while you only need fuel, air and glow for starting, it could be anything. The neighbor had two injectors go out and a fuel lift pump in the last year on an older model that gave him no-starts. You should be able to rent a code reader locally to determine if it's something you can do DIY or call the shop for a tow.

David

·
Registered
841 Posts
Normally, the no start issue on the 6.0 is caused bu the HPOP connection to the gallery that feeds the heads. You have to remove the turbo, EGR cooler, and high pressure oil pump to fix it. There is a TSB for it. The glow plugs and system for it almost never go out.

FYI, once you get rid of the EGR cooler, put in some bigger injectors, a turbo swap, studs, and a 5" exhaust, we're getting 24mpg unloaded on customer trucks...... I LIKE the 6.0. Its a good motor. The EPA screwed it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts