Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 gt and a month ago the clutch started slipping. Ok, so I bought a new clutch kit and it came with a new slave cylinder.awesome. so I threw it in.being a Dumbass I threw the old one away. I drove the car exactly 2 weeks and the slave blew. I got another one and drove it for 1 week 4 days and it blew too. I had this same issue with my f150. I blew it every fall and every spring until I finally pulled a used slave from a ranger and its now been there for two years with no problems. what gives? Im getting tired from pulling the transmission out of my car. Granted I'm getting very very good at it, but I'd rather just drive the stinkin car. A Guy told me maybe I need to replace the master. He said if it has a leak it might be sucking air in and over pressurizing the slave. And now that I think about it my carpet did have some stains that are right below the master. And I also completely flushed the whole system when I put the new slave on. Any advice?

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
Have you been able to specifically determine how the slaves failed - e.g., piston seal failed with poor quality, or the same seal failed due to poor bore dimensions, etc.?

The MC sucking air would not increase pressure. I'm guessing here, but it offhand sounds like sub-quality SC issue. GM had similar issues a couple times in recent years, one with bad bore tolerances allowing seal lip inversion, and one with a large batch of cylinders that were not inspected before shipment with backwards seals. Stuff happens. They 'fixed' the first issue by having everyone install special MCs of shorter effective stroke to prevent overpressure at the end of pedal throw. I'm surprised they didn't just issue a clip-on pedal stop, but that would be admitting design failure and they would have to pay instead of the customer. The second was by requiring mechanics to disassemble the new slaves before install, flipping the seal if necessary. Oh, boy - that went over well. :rolleyes:

David

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I haven't pulled the second one out yet but the first one when I pulled the transmission out it was in pieces. The bearing and spring just fell off and it looked like there was an oring caught in the bore hanging out.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Late to reply, but what brand clutch did you get? I need to replace mine soon, wondering if I should replace the slave or just leave it...only got 50k on it( too many dragstrip passes, clutch kinda about gone)

I replaced a slave in my f150' but it was a original ford part, not aftermarket...was the one you got with the clutch a aftermarket slave?

Any comments good/bad opinion on the brand clutch you picked up? Half tempted just to regrind my oe pp and flywheel and drop a new oe disk in it, but...

Thx for any info.
Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I haven't pulled the second one out yet but the first one when I pulled the transmission out it was in pieces. The bearing and spring just fell off and it looked like there was an oring caught in the bore hanging out.
I’m having the same problem but I replaced the slave cylinder 3 times now . Did you replace the master cylinder ? What other things did you do ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts