Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired the drivetrain from a totaled 2011 Shelby. I'm just starting to do some research to do an install in a '67- 69 Mustang Fastback. Has anyone put a 5.4 dohc between modified shock towers? How about the transmission?
I've googled and all I've found we're 4.6 modular swaps. Is the only option to remove the shock towers and go with a Mustang II style Rack and pinion.
New to Forum and any info/ links/pics would be great!!

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had my hands on a 5.4 DOHC from a Navigator several years back when I had my 68 Cougar. That engine is approximately 30" wide from memory, several inches wider than the space between the towers on a 67-70. From what I have seen, the 4.6 DOHC can be squeezed in with some shock tower shaving, but I don't think that the wider and taller 5.4 is going to make it in with the towers in place in any form. Height of the engine with the blower will be an issue as well, figure on some form of raised hood. The 05-up Mustangs have very tall front fenders, partially because of the height of the modular engines.

As for the trans, I'm thinking that you will need some tunnel mods to clear that big 6-speed, but I am only guesstimating!

cheers
Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts