Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently bought a '12 5.0 Mustang. It has the 6 speed manual and 3.73 gears. He is getting around 22 mpg, but was hoping to be closer to the 26 mark. I would like to hear about anyones experience with the same set up with the 3.31 or or 3.55 gears. I told him it is all about the "smiles per gallon" but he wasn't buying it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Drove one a while back no real experance though. Road and track tested one with the 3.73 gears and thats inline with what they got

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Do they still have the MPG display in the center of the dash? That should probably not be there.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I get 25-27mpg in mine. 5.0, 6speed, 3.73 gears
Ahh an almost perfect situation but for heat possibly. Barely above or below sea level basicly flat. Worst issue could be wind. Can also have a lot to do with the drive though. I have a friend here that cant keep a steady speed gets lousy economy with anything he drives.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ahh an almost perfect situation but for heat possibly. Barely above or below sea level basicly flat. Worst issue could be wind. Can also have a lot to do with the drive though. I have a friend here that cant keep a steady speed gets lousy economy with anything he drives.

its the steady speed that allows me to get better mileage, stay mostly between 60-70 on the drive in, and only 3 stoplights ... except for those slow drivers, then I get to downshift to 3rd and mat it :D

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Do they still have the MPG display in the center of the dash? That should probably not be there.
Yep. This was at Laguna Seca. I can get anywhere from this to about 24 on flat highways with no wind at 65 MPH. Avg is 15-19 for me, with a two day going to work and back max of 24.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't own one, but my friend has mentioned getting real low gas mileage at times, and others times what you would expect it to be. It probably doesn't help at all that he doesn't keep the RPM's low enough though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2012 Kona Blue Mustang 5.0 with the 3.73 gears and the 6 speed manual. I've got about 1,200 miles on it now. I bought it as a commuting car for the mpg. No seriously! I actually cross shopped an Audi A3 TDI! OK, OK, I do have other criteria, and the Audi was just way to slow. But considering my other vehicle is a 13 year old 3/4 ton truck (~15 mpg locally and 18 highway @ 65 mph) , 26 mpg highway for the 5.0 looked real good and I fell in love with it on the test drive. Nothing wrong with wanting decent efficiency in a car that's fun to drive.

So what does it really get... Here's my experience so far.

Spirited driving on country roads - ~16 mpg (spirited means I could smell the burnt rubber when I got out after a drive and mpg was still better than when babying the truck)
Enjoying the engine but not smoking tires - 18 - 22 mpg on country roads
Cruise control at 80 mph with rolling hills - 23-24 mpg
Cruising control at 60 mph 95% flat road a few bridges - 28 mpg.

There's quite a range. I don't think I can do better than 28 mpg. I'm sure I can do much worst than 16 mpg (like if I were on a track).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts