Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got the old school afr 205 with the coolant eyebrow,should i invest in getting them prof,ported or just buy the 225's,wich one is most cost evective,they are for a big bore dart 427,blown.thanks bros.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
What's your goal in HP or ET? What does the car weigh?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've flowed both on my flowbench and there was a BIG difference in the flow numbers between the old and new AFR 205. One of the major problems with the older 205 was the CNC program left a nasty ridge on the short side turn. Made the head go turbulent after .600".

On another note, the 225 didn't really flow any better than the new style 205 up to about .650". After that, the 205 stalled and the 225 kept going.

This was all done on a SF300 with a Brzezinksi 4.030" slider plate to keep the test conditions as close as possible.

When it's all said and done, I think you'd be ahead to sell the old style 205 and buy the 225s.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well.......for one i realy dont want to loose my......,if i sell them,for two i did notice the ridge on the short side on both sides,i sand rolled the ridge only on the intake ports,and sand rolled the whole port on the exhaust,paid real close att,to the ridge,smoothed up the chamber just a bit to knock off the sharp edges,other than that i think there a pretty damn good head,could i send these to TEA and let them put the hurt on them,as far as sellin them........i dont know .make me an offer,a real world offer,they have never been ran,just bolted to the engine to ck p/v clearance,is there possibly a better inline head other than the afrs,would realy like about 750-800 hp with 12-14 lbs of boost.thanks for the replys

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
With boost, the head becomes less and less important. The difference between a 205 and a 225 might not even be noticable. The only real difference (on a turbo car) might be in the exhaust port, and the 225 has a port that is raised, which might cause clearance problems.

You might want to look into it, but I wouldn't sweat it on a turbo engine. The money could be better spent elsewhere.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend. Right now, to be honest, I think the best head for the buck would be the Canfield 230cc head. BUT, it's an 18* head. And...to be honest, I think 800hp on a big bore 427, with these heads, would be more than realistic, N/A. On pump gas. They're that good. They are also, not cheap. But as I said, I don't think there's much comparable, even for the price range.

I know of someone who has made over 700hp on pump gas and 9:1 compression with a hyd roller and these heads. If you'd like to know who to talk to, feel free to PM me and I'll get you the contact info. Keep in mind 2300$ for heads (COMPLETE, setup with TOP of the line parts, spec'd for your combo), and then a good amount more for the shaft mount rockers they require. But again, I doubt you'll find better.

Cris

·
Registered
28 Posts
18* heads require specific everything... Pistons, rockers, usualyl headers. It isn't an easy swap, that's the problem.

AFR's get good money for good condition used heads. You're probably best off selling the used heads and buying a new set of 225's. If you get $1400 for the 205's you probably couldn't port them for the $500 difference in price compared to the 225's. You also have a new head vs. a used head at that point.

$.02

Brian
www.adperformance.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
$1400 is on the high side for used 205s, but with Ebay anythings possible!!! Just have to time it right.

On another note, I thought the Canfields were a 20° head that had revised valve spacing (ala Trick Flow High Port). A lot of people use these heads with great success and the only potential issue is that the exhaust port is raised .400".

Gerald.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What intake are you using?

I've seen a stock Vic Jr choke an AFR 225 from 323 to 265 on the flow bench. OUCH!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts