Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the thrust washers, drum, planetaries, bands and clutches from a `68 C4 fit in a `74 C4?

What parts will interchange? I have a fresh rebuilt 24 spline, and a 26 spline that needs a couple of washers to make it fresh. The vb is different I know. I'd rather sacrifice he `68 trans to build up the `74 unit as new.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
The washers are mostly the same other than the #3 at the forward drum. There is some variation on the front of the rear planet but that is not 24 vs 26 specific
Most everything else clutches planets etc cross over

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it looks like I can combine to make the D4 a good unit. One big question I have is: I rebuilt the C7 unit and the input shell and drum tangs lock nicely together. (see pic.)
sun gear shell.jpg

But when I opened up the D4 unit, (which does look rebuilt) the tangs don't fully mesh with drum and shell. I pulled the hub and planetary apart and reassembled 15 times but it still won't mesh fully (see pic.) I didn't rebuild this one, so not sure if this is right or not. Is this normal? Doesn't look right to me, but I've only rebuilt a few transmissions in my day..
c4 assembly.JPG

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The front outer sun gear on the older units do not have a support busing in them so I assume the surface underneath is not machined for a bushing.

The second pic looks like the clutches have not been fully engaged, check them first

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Input shell not meshing completely

I just checked this again, and again and both sets of clutch frictions line up, and everything locks down as far as they will go. This is completely baffling. The washers sit flat and true. Could the shell be belled out?

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Re: Input shell not meshing completely

Never seen one that high up. Try it without any clutches , something not letting the shell down. Doesn't look like it's belled out

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I helped a guy with his Mustang last week for a few hours. In trade he gave me a green dot C4. I pulled the input shell from it to see if it would fit the D4AP clutch pack. It fits fine, and engages the drum fingers perfectly. When I swapped the D4 shell to the C4AP clutch pack, it obviously shows something is messed up with the shell. Check out the picture. The one on the right is the D4AP shell on the C4AP pack. What abuse could make the shell warp like this?
bent-c4-shell.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just checked this again, and again and both sets of clutch frictions line up, and everything locks down as far as they will go. This is completely baffling. The washers sit flat and true. Could the shell be belled out?
I really hate to revive an old thread but I have this exact same issue goin on right now and curios to know what you found to resolve it? Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I really hate to revive an old thread but I have this exact same issue goin on right now and curios to know what you found to resolve it? Thanks
I ended up using a different drum, and everything fit perfectly. Looking at the two side by side, I couldn't see any differences, but one was definitely warped. It probably lived a hard life, or got overheated somehow. If you look at the picture on the right, you can see score marks too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
My first post here, have been reading the forum A LOT. I'm in a similar situation to the initial post here but sticking with a standard 24 spline input shaft for my mild 66 mustang with C4. While getting the transmission back together seems like I'm having similar challenge getting the input shell to fully seat into the forward drum. all clutches are engaged fully. This quote has me intrigued about the sun gear / planet / differing parts in these early year c4's. Is there any more behind this with / without support bushing setup? This transmission may have never really been run (project was mid-stream from previous owner and he did some performance upgrades to the tranny) so maybe I have the wrong mix of parts leading to the assembly issues. I have new thrust washers throughout, they are stuck in place with assembly lube and I can tell all the thrust surfaces are making good contact though one part where the sun gear goes into the planetary there is that 3 piece race / needle bearing with a lip that should slip into the sun gear to locate that washer, can't tell how far that is seating in. My shell is seated about as much as the "bad" example above.
I'm so sorry to revive an old thread hear but similar problem.
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Hello and Welcome . What you have looks ok. That is an early planet set with washers under the gears but shouldn't matter . It should locate over that lip on the planet bearing.

There are some differences in the early High drums from memory. I have some info i'll post on here with some of the differences in these early ones

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, helpful!

From points 1 and 2 it would indicate the later model I think. I will measure for points 3, 4 and 5 to verify those as well.

I did run that mess over to a transmission shop and the guy noticed that the shell has a slight bend in it like the sun gear is puckered down into the shell body. We test fit one from a 69 he had in the shop and it installed / set in there perfect, so I have ordered a replacement used shell will see how it works out.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts