Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my 66 Custom 500 project, I am considering rebuilding the original 240 6 cylinder instead of installing a 5 liter or big block. In fact I've read that I could increase the engine size to 300 with a crank/rod/pison kit. The kit along with the 4 barrel intake/carb and a set of header, these things can produce some useable low end torque.

Does anybody still have a 6 cyl in the Galaxie/Custom?:confused:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has stroked a 240/3.9L to make a 300/4.9L out here? Maybe in the F series truck forums?!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Nobody has stroked a 240/3.9L to make a 300/4.9L out here? Maybe in the F series truck forums?!
Am not for sure if they have, but it would have been an older stroker job. With 300ci 6's avail from the factory why make your own now?

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Have you checked I6 performance geek sites like FordSix.com? Just using a 300 was my thought as well.

David

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why stroke a 240? Becasue that's what I have. A tired 240 that blows a lot of smoke! Since I'm pulling it out to rebuild it, I thought it would be a good (questionable) opportunity to upgrade it a bit.

I been reading the 300 is a stroked 240. I could keep the I6 under the hood, but increase the output to make the ride a little more enjoyable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For reference websites, I've been reading FORDSIX Performance, Ford Truck Enthusiast (FTE) and been out to clifford performance, and see Jegs' intake/carb/header set up. Clifford has a nice list of components; weber carbs, cam, intake, exhaust that would also work on my 240 as well as a 300.

I'm just trying to see if anybody kept their old 6 in their Gal (or Custom as in my case) or has everybody gone the route of the V8. :confused:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I DO understand what you are saying, but is the cost going to outrun the out-come? If you are going to get new crank rods pistons to get to 300ci if you START at 300ci I would think you could spend the money on better parts for the 300 when you freshen it.... But i am sure there are others that can help with your project either way....

Might want to post the question in the Stroker Engine forum as well....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am sure there are still some sporting the original 6's, but most have went over to the dark side.....;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts