Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. This is a budget build. I've got a FE 390 sitting here that has 25,000 original miles on it. I would like to run it in my truck. The motor is stuck and it hasn't run since 79. I have tried to unstick the motor, but it is a no-go situation. I've pulled the heads and they look great. The cylinders look good too. I'm pulling the short block this week, to see why the motor is SO STUCK.

Depending on what I find when I pull apart the short block, I'm going to rebuild or re-ring/throw in fresh brearings.

What about the heads? Since they look great, what is the least i can do to them to get them ready to run? Do I need to lap the valves or can I just put in new valve seals? These are the original heads from 68 and they only have 25k miles on them. I'm trying to avoid machine work if possible.

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Lap the valve in and seen if it leaves a nice line around the valve and the seat if not get, them to a machine shop for a valve job. Put new seal and also check the guides....Make sure you clean the guides real good with a wire brush and while your at it put some new springs in it....

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you really think it will need new springs? I'm ok with that, and I guess that would make sense, since some of them have been in compression for the last 17 years. I had not thought of that. yeah, new springs will be needed.

I have never bought new springs by themselves, only with a cam kit. Where is the best place to order stock springs?

thanks
Austin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts