Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 2nd 250-powered Lemons car because I'm clearly incapable of making good decisions.

Anyway, I need to source a flywheel to hang off the formerly AT-equipped 250 I've got. It appears no parts supplier sells replacements.

My understanding is the I6s are internally (or inherently) balanced, so a V8 flywheel shouldn't work...?
(I've heard I could get a V8 flywheel and get it machined to 0 imbalance, but I could probably find a crapped-out donor Maverick for what that'd cost me at a machine shop.)

But then again, I've heard the early 157 tooth 24oz imbalance flywheels will...?

But since the 250 shares a bellhousing with the 300, then a 240 or 300 (both internally balanced) flywheel should work, right?

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I believe you are on the right track. If the rotating assembly is internally balanced, all you need is a flywheel that is statically balanced. I think that any of the I6 flywheels should work (they seem to be internally balanced) as long as it fits the bell housing and bolts to the crank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts