Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It doesn't state what a good compression is for the cam on the website. I'm right now as is I will be at 10:1 do you think this is too low for that cam?

whats your guys opinion on the XE284 and XE274 which one would better suit my application???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dsfordguy on 6/14/06 6:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The XE274 cam is a great cam. I have one but, in retrospect, I should have gone up to at least the XE284 cam. The 274 cam has excellent low and upper mid power but runs out of steam at around 6000rpm.
Beoweolf is correct about the excess heat higher stall converters generate but as long as you can keep the tranny oil cool with a GOOD cooler(bigger is better) you should be ok. I will also admit that my 3700 stall is on the ragid edge with streetability but I have a large cooler and I don't drive it much or very far. Usually, it's only 20 min. to the local drag strip.
The bigger the cam, the bigger the stall speed you will need.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yes it would as long as you had the 4:11 gears to go with it.
I would still call EDGE and tell them your setup. They tend to be a little too conservative on stall speed when you tell them it's for a strictly street car. I would tell them that it's for a street/strip car that sees a lot of drag strip.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts