Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just lost compressions in a cylinder and it's the head. I was wondering what head would be an upgrade rather than rebuilding the original ones. Can I put any performance/aftermarket 289 head on my 260 or will that not work? This is on a 64 Ford Fairlane factory 260 with aftermarket exhaust and it has the two speed cruise o matic.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Been so long since I messed with the 221/260;s, the 260 heads had fairly small chambers, valves, check the size of the larger, 289's may throw your compression ratio way to low.
I seem to remember the later heads valves may not clear the little 260's cylinders, but someone will chime in that has better memory then I.
I added a 4 barrel intake, 600 holley & duals to my first 260, the results? Terrible gas mileage with very little apparent HP gains.
(don't even think about replacing the one head with a 289;s, have to do in pairs, for sure,) but I don't think it would be worthwhile, as far as any HP gains, if that's what your looking for, grab a 289/302 & build from there

·
Registered
674 Posts
mY PLAN IS TO port the stock 260 heads maybe in large the valves (they use 5/16 stems) 289 ish 302 valves might fit. build into a 272, cam based on heads air flow. Compression with the stock 53 to 56 cc HEADS WAS 8.7 TO 1. 289 HEADS 302, etc would putthe compression in a good range for a turbo set up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
mY PLAN IS TO port the stock 260 heads maybe in large the valves (they use 5/16 stems) 289 ish 302 valves might fit. build into a 272, cam based on heads air flow. Compression with the stock 53 to 56 cc HEADS WAS 8.7 TO 1. 289 HEADS 302, etc would putthe compression in a good range for a turbo set up.
This seems like a lot of work to put into a 260.

I'm with Royster - start over with a 302.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Depends on preferences. I am looking at building for a period correct with proper date code with performance up grades but rather undetectable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts