Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 289 to replace my faithfull but tired 260. Some questions for you motorheads!
Will the 260 flywheel bolt to the 289?
If I change the bellhousing from a 5 bolt to a 6 bolt, can I use my existing side loader?
I know I should swap in a T5 but, they are hard to find and I'm working with a restricted budget. Someday! Which motor mounts should be used? Anything else to look for?
The 289 is a stock 4V so I won't be making much more horsepower.
Any help and/or guidance is appreciated!!
Thanx

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Bellhousing will work if it's a 5 bolt 289 (assuming you have a five bolt b-housing for your 260). Everything else should work no problem.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fxcomet,
The 289 is a 6 bolt so I need to track down a 6 bellhousing yes? After locating said bellhousing, I should be able to mate my existing T10 to the 289 yes?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx Doug!
I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out the easiest way( okay, cheapest way ) to get this 289 in to my Ranchero. I'll make do with the T10 for now and keep hunting down the parts to do the T5 swap.
What about rear end ratios? The book on this vehicle says it has 3:20's in the rear. Is this a good ratio for the highway?
Thanx, Mike

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
That's an excellent all around ratio. Should give decent mileage on the highway and decent acceleration. You could step up to a 350 gear, but for the money you'd have to spend, I'd rather save my coins for the t5 swap! Then you can go with a 389 or a 411!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts