Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building an 83 5.0 Mustang on a budget. I bought an assembled rebuil 79 short block. The guy told me the crank was balanced. My question is will my 83 5.0 harmonic balancer and flywheel work. Or do I need to convert? What exactly is the difference in cranks? Where can I find a flywheel and balancer that will work with my serpentene belt setup for not too much money? Thanx in advance for you help.
Pete

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would suggest calling the previous owner to find out if the balancing was for zero, 28 or 50 ounce. Makes a big difference on what type of flywheel and dampener you should use.Everythng should be balanced together.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just FYI, the stock '79 used the 28 oz imbalance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The flywheel, harmonic balancer, and crankshaft MUST all match or it will ruin your engine. Find out for sure from the engine builder how it was balanced, and then get a flywheel and harmonic balancer to match.

If economy is critical, you can use a stock-type flywheel with the correct balance factor (as long as you're not revving it to the moon). However, don't skimp on the harmonic balancer; get a quality aftermarket unit. The stock balancers nearly always slip the balance ring with regular performance use, and will destroy the bearings or worse. There is no economy in cheap balancers. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts