Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Need a little advice, besides pulling the rear axel on the 64 galaxie 500 fast back and counting the splines, is there any other way of telling what spline you have in a rear end ? There is a metal tag on the rear end that has the numbers BV-AZ1 and then 50-3FD 3 . My door ID plate is missing on my car,so that is no help. The original owner said the rear end is the same one the car came with,never changed.
Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks,
Red

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Hello everyone, Need a little advice, besides pulling the rear axel on the 64 galaxie 500 fast back and counting the splines, is there any other way of telling what spline you have in a rear end ? There is a metal tag on the rear end that has the numbers BV-AZ1 and then 50-3FD 3 . My door ID plate is missing on my car,so that is no help. The original owner said the rear end is the same one the car came with,never changed.
Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks,
Red
most accurate way to find out is pulling axle...
wheel off...drum off....four bolts off on brake backing plate....pull axle...
not that big a job....

most likely a 28 spline....

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
There is a metal tag on the rear end that has the numbers BV-AZ1 and then 50-3FD 3 .
Hey Red - sometimes the bolt holding the tag distorts or hides digits. Check that tag again and see if it actually shows WBV-AZ1 then 3L50-3FD 3. If so, and it's original, and it's not a 427, then it's a 9" 3.50 with a 4-pinion limited-slip and 28 splines. If not, then you're stuck with either getting a good tag reading or start pulling stuff.

David

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being near sighted sucks,so I had a hard time reading the tag laying in the ice on my back ,LOL. I guess I missed something on the tag.
Thanks to all for the input, y'all rock !
I'll try to post some pics of my 427 top/center oiler build soon.....
I've got the 64 Gal in the paint shop as we speak, just about ready to shoot color on.
I sure learned a lot about buffing stainless and aluminum trim while I am waiting for the Gal to get painted. When you buff aluminum at 35 degrees or colder, all you get is a mess ! Getting the mirror shine on the aluminum is hard work, but well worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts