Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

pretty new to the entire field of engine rebuilding, though I've studied automotive technology.
Since I'm planning on rebuilding my Mustang's 289 from scratch up, I was hoping to get some feedback here, since in Germany the world of V8-enthusiats as myself is rather small.

Beforehand I intend to use the engine for street uses mainly with some drag strip uses.

Regarding the rebuild the current plan is to use the existing block and have it machined, same goes for the crankshaft and con rods, as long as there are no major faults present.
Regarding the pistons I haven't decided yet and still have to do the math actually. Maybe U have some input for regarding this topic. Esp. since I could not figure out if I need special pistons to work with the TFS heads.

The rest of the setup would look like the following:
-TFS twisted edge 170 cylinder heads
-Edelbrock performer or performer rpm air gap
- Edelbrock Thunder Series 650cfm carb

Regarding the camshaft I was looking at COMP cams for a hydraulic roller cam. Also was planning on getting valve train components from them.

Hope I can get some input from you. Would be really great.
Thanks in advance.

Rgds
Mario

·
Registered
112 Posts
Congratulations on launching your project. My '66 289 was a milder build (ported origiinal heads, aligned but original intake, flat tappet camshaft (Comp Cams), .030 KB 281 pistons), so I cannot add any comments with respect to the math, but I can agree with you it's critical although I gather higher octane fuel is more available in Europe which may enable more flexibility in your overall timing ... :)

Maybe you and your machinist are doing this but I had my block "square decked" and the crankshaft was nitrided before then grinding and lightening, and of course the rods were lightened and balanced so the rolling assembly is quite steady and it pulls pretty well. Several google links on these topics may be of interest.

What drive train will you have behind the engine?
Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
hello;

Depends what you want

lite to liite drag car, freeway flier or inbetween

What trans

Tire burner or tire warmer

Yes you need the tw pistons

Deck the block so the pistons are .003” below the deck.

Mill heads to around 58 - 60 cc or .032”, whichever comes first but if you mill both the block and heads more than a total of around .034”, you might need to mill the intake or intake side of the heads so ot fits properly.

A cam similar to this and it will need around 3.40 – 3.55 gears.

31-422-8 - Magnumâ„¢ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, For engines that DID NOT come from the factory with hydraulic roller cams, NOT FOR E.F.I.

or this with 3.55 – 3.91 gears

31-432-8 - Magnumâ„¢ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, For engines that DID NOT come from the factory with hydraulic roller cams, NOT FOR E.F.I.

eddy rpm intake, not an air gap

quick fuel 680 vs-ss carb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, currently regarding the drivetrain I am currently running a orig. 3-speed manual tranny, though I have to pass on the rear axle ratio, since the car is currently on its way to Germany.
Going to change to a 5-speed sometime next year.

Im intending to use the car mainly for street use, with the option of running it down the strip once in a while. So actually looking to get a 289 with some 350-400hp at the flywheel, but with good low end torque and an not too rough idle.

Since I'm pretty sure about the 170cc TFS TW heads, as their values outperform most of the other aftermarket cyl. heads, do I just take the pistons from Trickflow themselves or are there other manufacturers offering a better bang for the buck reg. pistons. Also will hypereutectic pistons be sufficient? (won't hang in a supercharger or nitrous ) or do I need forged aluminum pistons.

Regarding the CAM the first one : 31-422-8 - Magnum™ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, For engines that DID NOT come from the factory with hydraulic roller cams, NOT FOR E.F.I. that was posted, was actually one I had in my closer selection. Regarding camshafts in general, is there any difference in using compcams or one from crane?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts