Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to switch the intake manifold out on my 65 falcon with a 302 in it. It has a big High Rise on it now and I want to put a performer type 4bbl manifold back on it for driveability. I believe the install bolts are 5/16 x 1 1/2 or 2 " long?????. I read somewhere that using guide studs at each corner make it easier to line it up. Basically cut of the head of a longer bolt, screw them in lightly at all 4 corners then when the mainfold is on and the other bolts are in uncrew the corners and put in the correct bolts. I can not remember the length for the guide studs and I could not track it down on the web. Maybe 2 1/2" or 3". I have some 2 1/2" - 5/16 x 18 bolts now. Just wondering if I cut the heads off of them If I'll have plenty of length to grab them when I have the manifold on the engine with the inner bolts finger tight .
I don't know what the high rise has for bolts on it - but I'd just as soon use new bolts on the install. Thanks

LBM:cool:❓❓❓❓

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
2 1/2" will be plenty (and you don't need to bottom them out in the hole.) 3 full turns should be plenty of depth for alignment purposes.

I suggest that when you cut off the heads that you also cut a slot onto the new cut area that would allow you to insert a screw driver. The cut is needed but it could cut down on some aggravation should the bolt bind for some reason.

Reactions: Iowan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was thinking of grinding a couple of flats on the sides to give something to grab onto. I kept digging in the bolt bucket and I found 4 bolts that would be 2 3/4" with the heads cut off so they should work good. Do the other bolts need to be 2" long or will 1 3/4" thread length work? 1 have 1 3/4" and 2 1/8" thread length measured from bottom of head to tip of bolts but not counting the washer thickness. So I'd guess the washers are 1/8" which would be 1 1/2" or 2" thread length. Not sure how deep the bolt holes are in the 302 heads?? How critical is it?

2 1/2" will be plenty (and you don't need to bottom them out in the hole.) 3 full turns should be plenty of depth for alignment purposes.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I'm a little confused as to what you want to do with the other bolts. If all you need are alignment studs then you only need the 4 mentioned by placing 1 toward the rear of each head and 1 at the front of them too. If you are looking for attachment bolts why don't you reuse what you all ready have on the car?

Right off hand I can't tell you about the other bolts lengths BUT you can try them by dropping them in their holes in the intake that is already off the car to get an idea of the manifold thickness. You don't want these bolts to bottom out in their holes but would need at least 5/16" of thread engagement in the heads plus enough to account for the intake gasket thickness (usually .060 or so IIRC.) Longer is better in the long run but they never should come too close to bottoming out in there holes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - Thanks

I'm a little confused as to what you want to do with the other bolts. If all you need are alignment studs then you only need the 4 mentioned by placing 1 toward the rear of each head and 1 at the front of them too. If you are looking for attachment bolts why don't you reuse what you all ready have on the car?

Right off hand I can't tell you about the other bolts lengths BUT you can try them by dropping them in their holes in the intake that is already off the car to get an idea of the manifold thickness. You don't want these bolts to bottom out in their holes but would need at least 5/16" of thread engagement in the heads plus enough to account for the intake gasket thickness (usually .060 or so IIRC.) Longer is better in the long run but they never should come too close to bottoming out in there holes.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Many people will install studs only at the four corners and use bolts on the rest. This allows the intake to be guided straight down into place.

As for intakes, a Performer RPM will give up ZERO low end power, while making more up top. The standard Performer is an ancient design, and was improved in every way with the RPM unit. It's just a little taller.

Good Luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks n20 Mike. The High Rise Intake Manifold that I am taking off is a Parker Funnel Web Hi RPM. Since it rev's so tight so quickly I suspect there might be some sort of non stock Cam in it - but no Idea and it Idles OK. It works and hits Hi revs but it is a PITA for driving around where I live. I decided I'd take it off and put on a cheap Performer Copy to make it driveable. I've been using Edlebrock Performers for years and they serve me well. I made 4 longer studs from longer bolts just to use as guides while setting the manifold back on. I'd heard about it quite awhile back and it seemed to be a good Idea. I'd never used them before. When I get the manifold down and lined up I'll put the other bolts in then pull the longer studs and replace them with the same bolt I'm using for the rest of the holes. I have some new bolts that have 2 1/8" long reach - from the bottom of the head to the end of the bolt - not real sure if they will be long enough - will have to see. I did pull 1 bolt from the funnel web and it is longer then what I have but it's not real clean - it looked like it was only holding on the bottom 3/8 of the threads. So I decided to just get new bolts if what I have will not work right rather then mess with cleaning all 12 bolts. I can't tell yet how thick the flanges are to see the difference yet. I went with the chepo manifold and save a few bucks because I just want to sell this 65 Ford Falcon 4 Door Wagon. So far I think it will work out although I have had to run a tap through all the 5/16 x 18 bolt holes on the manifold - no biggie there but I did have to drill and tap one of the holes completely. Par for the course.

I suggest that when you cut off the heads that you also cut a slot onto the new cut area that would allow you to insert a screw driver. The cut is needed but it could cut down on some aggravation should the bolt bind for some reason.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Thanks n20 Mike. The High Rise Intake Manifold that I am taking off is a Parker Funnel Web Hi RPM. Since it rev's so tight so quickly I suspect there might be some sort of non stock Cam in it - but no Idea and it Idles OK. It works and hits Hi revs but it is a PITA for driving around where I live. I decided I'd take it off and put on a cheap Performer Copy to make it driveable. I've been using Edlebrock Performers for years and they serve me well. I made 4 longer studs from longer bolts just to use as guides while setting the manifold back on. I'd heard about it quite awhile back and it seemed to be a good Idea. I'd never used them before. When I get the manifold down and lined up I'll put the other bolts in then pull the longer studs and replace them with the same bolt I'm using for the rest of the holes. I have some new bolts that have 2 1/8" long reach - from the bottom of the head to the end of the bolt - not real sure if they will be long enough - will have to see. I did pull 1 bolt from the funnel web and it is longer then what I have but it's not real clean - it looked like it was only holding on the bottom 3/8 of the threads. So I decided to just get new bolts if what I have will not work right rather then mess with cleaning all 12 bolts. I can't tell yet how thick the flanges are to see the difference yet. I went with the chepo manifold and save a few bucks because I just want to sell this 65 Ford Falcon 4 Door Wagon. So far I think it will work out although I have had to run a tap through all the 5/16 x 18 bolt holes on the manifold - no biggie there but I did have to drill and tap one of the holes completely. Par for the course.
I would STRONGLY recommend the Performer RPM. If the engine was designed to make good power when it is revved up, the standard Performer will absolutely choke it to death. The RPM delivers the best of both worlds. VERY good intake manifold for about any street engine.

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts