Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know that there is a 13 ci difference but how much of a horsepower/torque difference is there? Im thinking about swaping the 289 crank for a 302 crank during the next rebuild if its worth while, also are there any major differences between the 302 and 5.0 besides a roller cam and efi?
thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
one other thing you might want to think about is rod length is different in a 289 and a 302. you have to use 302 con rods for your 289 stroker other parts are the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Theoreticaly, with the same heads and camshaft, they would make the same horsepower, with the 289 making the power at a higher RPM.
The differance in stroke and rod lengths will give them differant tourqe curves.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
wanna know about power? Read N2O Mike's post further down on the board, I think it's in the "mustang, ferrari, corvette" post. Very, Very informative.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought with more stroke came more power? Is there any major differences between the 302 and 5.0 besides a roller cam and efi, also is efi that much better than a carb?
thanks,

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there any major differences between the 302 and 5.0 besides a roller cam and efi?

·
Registered
18 Posts
when ford used the roller cam in the 5.0 they changed the f.o.. the reason for this was too keep cylinders 7 and 8 from messing with each others intake charge. they used a roller 351w cam. you cam put a 351w cam in a earlier 302/289/260/221 but the f.o. changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts