Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a tired old 289 in my 67 mustang i am restoring and i am putting in a 351 windsor and i need to know if 289 motor mounts will work and is the driveshaft length the same

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
289 motor mounts will work on a 351w, no problem.

I don't know what tranny changes you are making from the 289, but in general, yes the driveshaft can be the same length.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Think the yoke is different, not knowing the 'donor' car cant tell ya about the 'shaft length..

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If I were a gambling man I would put my money on the 'shorten' list. BUT i dont know that for a FACT.... Maybe someone with a little more trans knowledge will chime in...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The 289-351s share the same bellhousing bolt patterns so you can easily swap the old 289 trans and flywheel onto the 351 if so desired..Are you sure the trans is a C-6 and not an FMX?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a c4 transmission but i guess the question is is the c6 better then the c4. and im not sure if it is a c6 for a fmx . if the c4 is the same or better i can just use one of those

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
C-6 is a one piece housing(bell-trans) FMX USUALLY bolt on bell and trans case cast iron. the c-4 will live fine if the 351 isnt a gazzilion hp'ed stroked out to a 427. That case it will need 'helping' but will still work.... there are advantages/disadvantages doing a c-4/c-6 comparo. Depending on end use.....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The 289-351s share the same bellhousing bolt patterns so you can easily swap the old 289 trans and flywheel onto the 351 if so desired..Are you sure the trans is a C-6 and not an FMX?
There ya go confusing the new guys again....;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks alot i am going to put the c4 on it thanks for all the awesome information i feel better knowing this is available because i know nothing lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts