Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

My '289' block was just delivered. Turns out it's a C40E block, 5 bolt bell housing =/. I haven't pulled the heads to check if it's been bored or not yet (it was supposed to be virgin and relatively low mileage). Also, the front crank counterweight has a '5' stamped into it, and that's it. No 1 (289), or 2 (302), as I've read other places.

Visible casting numbers are as follows:

Starter area:
C40E-6015C, and then smaller 4B18

Passenger head:
289 and then 64, then small above the 64 - 4B20

Drivers head:
289 and then 64, then small above the 64 - 4B12

The intake has it's own numbers, and looks to be an original 1964 4bbl intake. Numbers are C40E-9425-B, and then smaller - 3K24.

I know enough to understand it's a 64 casting. The 5 bolt bell housing is enough to tell me plenty =/. I'm just worried it might actually be a 260.

Who knows, if it's in good shape maybe I'll be able to sell it to some restorer who needs to put a block in a 64.5! (right!). Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm, pulled the cast iron intake, and while it's relatively clean in there, there's no way the motor was 'freshened' as he said just a few months ago. Even the head bolts have a fair amount of 'crud' built up on them. If he'd said 5 years ago, I might believe it. More importantly, there's no designation cast into the lifter valley. Just a '6' or possibly a '9' depending on which side you look from. Another thing...it has threaded pipe plugs in the rear, instead of pressed in plugs for the oiling. Sorta strange.

Anyhow, looking forward to your responses. Guess I'll have to see about popping off a head tomorrow, and measuring the stroke.

Cris

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
My sources say that C40E-6015-C is indeed a 64' 289 block with a 5 bolt bellhousing. As you said, would be good in a 64 1/2 Mustang, or a Fairlane, Galaxie, Falcon, or Comet.

The 289 has a 4" bore and the 260 has a 3.80" bore which can't be opened up to 4".

·
Registered
991 Posts
its a 64 289 block, damn 5 bolt

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2006-09-10 16:37, woody1 wrote:
Exactly!

Ahh well, and I wanted a T5, bleh! Hmm...he's giving me the bell housing as well, wonder if it'll fit a Toploader? Something to look into. Guess I'm back to the 'Real men use FOUR gears!' slogan...if not quite the way I used to mean it =p. Least if it'll fit a toploader, I know I won't be breaking the tranny!

Thanks for your help guys, it's appreciated!

Cris

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
On 2006-09-10 19:27, Is1BadFord wrote:
On 2006-09-10 16:37, woody1 wrote:
Exactly!

Ahh well, and I wanted a T5, bleh! Hmm...he's giving me the bell housing as well, wonder if it'll fit a Toploader? Something to look into. Guess I'm back to the 'Real men use FOUR gears!' slogan...if not quite the way I used to mean it =p. Least if it'll fit a toploader, I know I won't be breaking the tranny!

Thanks for your help guys, it's appreciated!

Cris
Four speed toploaders from 65'-73' have dual bolt patterns so that they can be retrofitted to the early block.

I have always been concerned about the strength of the 5 bolt block/bellhousing vs. the 6 bolt block/bellhousing.

If you later decide to get a scattershield, they are quite rare for a 5 bolt block (but at least there is one available, although out of production.)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know a good place that sells Toploaders? =).

Cris

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
They sell adapter plate to fit a toploader bell to a T5. Not sure that the 5 bolt thing would be a problem since the adapter goes between the tranny and the bell. At least that's what I remember when I was looking at options when I did my T5 swap.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm...I think you're right. But I wonder if it takes into consideration what Dennis said about the toploader having a dual pattern for mounting to either bell housing?

Bleh, guess I'm going to have to dig a lot deeper to figure this out.

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2006-09-10 19:33, dennis111 wrote:

If you later decide to get a scattershield, they are quite rare for a 5 bolt block (but at least there is one available, although out of production.)
I'll probably end up buying a blanket for it. I know they make them...I'll just have to find out who again...used to have a link somewhere....

Cris

·
Registered
2 Posts
My sources say that C40E-6015-C is indeed a 64' 289 block with a 5 bolt bellhousing. As you said, would be good in a 64 1/2 Mustang, or a Fairlane, Galaxie, Falcon, or Comet.

The 289 has a 4" bore and the 260 has a 3.80" bore which can't be opened up to 4".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yo
This stamping was on late model 63 Fairlanes
Questioned the origin to the drivetrain until I bought mustag and Ford small blocks by bob mannel
His research and posting helped me to verify Ford put 1964 hipo motors late in 1963
Page 3-7 very bottom right
Incredible amount of info
Don’t be fooled when you read or hear how many components in the motor is the same as a standard 289
The same amount of differences are equaled
Regards
George

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Yo
This stamping was on late model 63 Fairlanes
Questioned the origin to the drivetrain until I bought mustag and Ford small blocks by bob mannel
His research and posting helped me to verify Ford put 1964 hipo motors late in 1963
Page 3-7 very bottom right
Incredible amount of info
Don’t be fooled when you read or hear how many components in the motor is the same as a standard 289
The same amount of differences are equaled
Regards
George
This is a VERY old post. These 5-bolt 289 blocks are sought after by people rebuilding 221 and 260 engines, as it gives them the common 4" bore they can easily buy pistons/rings for, and will still fit their original bellhousings. More power is a bonus. Do not 'trash' a good 5-bolt block.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts