Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! I’m new on here. I’m 16 and have been into cars forever. My dad is 21 years seniority as a ford technician.

i recently purchased a 289 as my first project! I’m planning on making this motor live up in the top end as they aren’t great in torque anyways and with the short stroke I just think it’s going to be a lot of fun to drive. I’ve spent the last week taking it apart and now it’s a bare block as of today. I want to keep the build to a 16 year olds budget and am looking at ideas. I’m planning on just going with a cam, carb, lifters, push rods, new (cast) pistons and all the gaskets/bearings. I have a set of 351w heads that I could get for free from a family friend. As of right now my 289 heads need a lot of work and I think it might be cheaper to just buy some high compression pistons and run the 351w heads as I already have to bore the block 0.030 over anyways. Just on here looking for some tips and what you guys think. Also, what compression pistons would I have to get to run those heads?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Automotive exterior Bumper

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2021 F150 STX
42 Posts
You might not be interested but I have a used 351w cam with lifters and a new 351w (ATK Marine Engines) cam with new lifters. Not sure on specs for either unit but the ATK cam set up arrived after I had already put new Compcam stuff in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts