Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive never gotten into a carb before and dont really know where to start. Its a 67 galaxie 289 2 barrell. ran fine, sat for a while, now it starts and will idle and rev up in park, but in gear it wants to stall. i replaced the spark plugs, fuel pump, and the fuel filter. still stalls. the butterfly on top of the carb was stuck in place so i took the leaness adjuster off( or whatever its called) and freed the valve up inside there. the butterfly springs free but i dont know if its supposed to be open or closed. i dont know much about the carbs and need to get it running enough to get it to someone who can tune it. thanks for any help

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your talking about the choke. When the plate is closed, it's running rich. If you just want to get it to someone, you'll want to get the choke to stay open. If nothing else you can probably remove the plate, depending on what carb it is.

If the choke stays open all the time, you may have to feather the throttle a little to keep the engine running until it's warm.

But I doubt that is your problem. It sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i can adjust the choke either way and get it started and it'll sound pretty good and start fine, but when ive got it in drive and hit the gas it'll stall then it starts back up pretty hard. How do i check for vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Visual inspection of all vacuum lines for starters. Then spray a mist of water around anywhere vacuum should be (vacuum lines/connections, intake manifold to head flange, carb flange etc) and listen for a stumble. Where it stumbles will be where a leak is.

It could be several other things though, but I'd start there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i'll start there, ive done a few other things (fuel pump and filter, cleaned fuel lines, spark plugs, and checked the float). now i need to find where all the vacuum lines are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts